Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled pork question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled pork question

I am going to smoke a butt for guests for the first time this weekend. I am interested in making both the Carolina mustard sauce, as well as the vinegar sauce. I see the vinegar sauce is added to the pork after the pull to keep moist. My guess is this would not go well with the mustard sauce. My question is what, if anything, is needed to keep the pulled pork moist, that will not interfere with the taste of various sauces?

put a pan under your butt to collect the juices and add them back in when the cook is done. just be sure to add water to the pan so the juices don't all burn up

also i shred mine into a 9x13 pan and put foil over the top so it doesn't dry out, you also can put that in the oven at a really low temp for a little while to keep things warm
    Last edited by DeusDingo; August 3, 2016, 08:08 AM.

Comment

If you crutch it and cambro it you'll capture a lot of porcine liquid love. Defat the juices add back to the pork and use that to further moisten.

Comment

This is just my opinion. Myself, I wouldn't add any sauce to the pulled pork. I'd let the guest add as they like. The reason, not everyone has the same flavor palate. I recently had dinner at a friends home. She spent all day with a pork butt on her smoker - 17 hrs to be exact.

When she was done, she added this really funky blueberry bbq sauce to it, completely ruined her day's work.
        Last edited by SoCalTim; August 3, 2016, 10:25 AM.

Comment

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 on ^!

Keep it covered as much as possible. If you do this, it wont dry out. If you are reheating in a crock, add a bout a half a cup of water before you start heating. Works like a charm.

Comment

When cooking for a group I'll pull it and put it in a Nesco with a cup of apple juice and half a stick of butter. Set on low and keep the cover on. Sauce is put on the side for the guests to add as they like.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Butter is always a good move.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here