Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bacon Safety Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bacon Safety Question

I just finished smoking a 5 lb slab of pork belly - using the 'simple' method. It had been cured for 7 days in the fridge and took about 3 hours to reach 165 @ 225. I fried up a couple of slices and it was my best bacon to date. Life is good.

Now my question. I wasn't paying close attention when I started the brine and didn't realize that I'd left the skin on til it was time to smoke. I then skinned the slab and proceeded. The fat on the finished product was almost creamy - probably because it did get quite as much brine as it normally would have. Is this OK? If so, I'd recommend trying it on the your next slab. I certainly will.

If it matters my pork is sourced from local farms and the butcher said that the pig had the "softest" skin.

The skin will slow penetration of the cure. But you WANT penetration of the cure for flavor and safety, so I would not recommend impeding the process.

Comment

I always skin before curing, or buy belly that's already skinned if I can, but other credible sources (Ruhlman) mention skinning after smoking using very similar cure formulas & cure times so I think you're safe enough. You've already "cooked" to 165 and will likely cook again before consumption so it seems like a personal choice thing rather than a safety concern. The "creamier" end product is probably closer to what you get with store bought bacon.

Comment

Ok, I'll pay attention the next time. But d-mn this is good bacon. Its sliced & frozen in meal size pkgs and only thawed to eat, so I don't think lack of proper chemical preservation is going to be an issue. But I'll do it right the next time.

But while I've got your ear. Was it liability issues that had you exclude bacon from your book, but include pastrami?
        And feel free to tell me its NOMB, I'll understand

Comment

Originally posted by HorseDoctor View Post
          ...The "creamier" end product is probably closer to what you get with store bought bacon.
          Actuallly in comparison, the fat on good store bought bacon is greasier and tougher. This stuff melted in my mouth.
          Oh well, everything that tastes really good is bad for you.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here