Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first bacon

Cured for 14 days then smoked over oak. Came out pretty good. Smoking it just took a lot longer than 2 hours for some reason. I think it was closer to 4 or 5 hours...
    Attached Files

congrats! mine took 3 hours, usually

Comment

I have two 3 pound batches curing right now!

Comment

• Dutchness
        Dutchness commented
        Editing a comment
        Great! Show us some pics when IT'S TIME

Yeah there are a lot of factors. It was just a little surprising it took THAT long.

Comment

Oh and I thought my bacon was a little 'oversmoked'. If it will take just as long next time I might wrap at the 3 hour mark because of that reason.

Comment

What cut of meat is that? Is that pork belly?

Comment

• Dutchness
            Dutchness commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep pork belly

Pretty thick, probably why took so long

Comment

This is thick? Might be the picture...have you ever measured the thickness of a pork belly?

Comment

Most I get are inch to 1.5 maybe. depends where on pig it us from and how good butcher is. Sometimes I get one side that is about 3 inches

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here