Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The two Ways I Cook Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The two Ways I Cook Ribs

I've found that I like to cook ribs two ways. That's baby backs, spare ribs, and St. Louis cut. The first way is just to put them on my Backwoods G2 Party water smoker, expose them to smoke for about an hour and a half, and then finish cooking them on the smoker. Cooking temperature is 275, and it takes 3 - 4 hours to cook them, depending on how large the rack of ribs is. Diners put sauce on them at the table when they are eating them. The second way, is once they have been exposed to smoke for an hour and a half, I wrap them in foil to finish cooking them. When they are done, I remove them from the foil, cover them in sauce, and put them on my Weber gas grill set on high. This grills a crust onto them that is very tasty.

I would eat both and you wouldn't have to ask, "C'est bon?"

Comment

I used to wrap...not anymore

Comment

• Gator Lau
        Gator Lau commented
        Editing a comment
        What changed your mind?

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        Gator Lau when I did some unwrap and they were the best ribs that I have ever put in my mouth. The flavor wasn't steam out of them.

As long as you don't boil them, you're good ... ...

Comment

• Gator Lau
        Gator Lau commented
        Editing a comment
        Although I do not boil them, I have been stuck eating someone elses. Holding my tongue for politeness, I realize even badly cooked ribs are wonderful!!!

So Memphis style (sauce on the side) vs Kansas City style (sauce painted on)... Dry or Wet... Both are tasty.

Personally I most generally do Kansas City Style but I don't wrap. I just paint the sauce on during the last 30 minutes or so.
      I even do this for unsanctioned backyard style competitions and still get called.

Like Jerod said though... I'm not going to turn down either.

Comment

I cook ribs 1 way... I dry brine them the night before and put my rub on right before they go in the cooker. I want them refrigerator cold going on the cooker. I cook them at 200° on my BGE for the first hour and turn the heat up to 225° for the rest of the cook. I don't spritz or mop. I don't wrap them and I don't apply sauce to them on the cooker. I remove them when they pass the bend test. The Kamado keeps them moist and tender.

It's pretty simple really...😆
        Last edited by Breadhead; July 14, 2016, 01:31 AM.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting approach. I do do,the same but 225 the entire cook. Do you find you get more smoke with the first hour at 200?

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          By heating slower at the bottom of the temperature curve, the theory suggests more smoke adhesion and penetration.

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          My thought is better smoke adhesion and better smoke rings...👍

Breadhead that's what I do on my BGE and Kettle. Sauce is usually in the refrigerator and only taken out if requested, and it rarely is.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Same here Fuzzy but there are human's that somehow ribs must have BBQ sauce on them.🙄

I don't sauce while cooking on the PBC (too lazy, and don't want to drop them) but I sometimes sauce for 20 minutes or so when they are easy to get to on the BGE. Which do I like the best? The one that is on my plate at the time!

Comment

I stopped wrapping a couple years ago and haven't been disappointed. And I've done ribs twice on my kettle with S&S, and I prefer them that way to the BGE. Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            Blowing smoke rings from the smoke from my pipe.😆

You can safely make that statement in the Pit.... But if you typed that on the BGE forum it would be considered total heresy. They would revoke your BGE card.

I'm basically done saucing my ribs. I like a memphis dry, regardless of whether the rub conforms to memphis dry. Caramelized sauce just doesn't work for my palette anymore.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            But a thin vinegar based sauce, with just some chiles or some MMD+salt in it... that works for me... a quick splash on the ribs right after the come off the grill.

I've never sauced ribs but one time way back in the day. I like my ribs dry. So do most of my guests. I'll serve sauce on the side. And I make my own 3 sauces; one is a sweet sauce, one is a semi spicy, and the third is a nuclear hot sauce.

I dry brine, then the night before the cook, I'll coat with rub and refrigerate overnight. The day of the cook, I'll take the ribs out, recover with rub, and place in the refrigerator until the KK comes up to temp for an hour. Then it's on the grate until the ribs pass the bend test. For St. Louis cut (my preferred cut of rib) that's about 5-6 hours at 225F. For Baby Backs they generally go 4-5 hours at 225F. And NO! I don't wrap and no Texas Crutch. Never had a complaint. The very few times I've crutched, a couple of my guests just kind if looked at me as if I had lost it.

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            Franklin is a wrapper... I just don't get it.🤔

I love ribs with sauce. I love ribs without sauce, too.

That just about sums it up, I think.

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't frown on saucing ribs at all. I just find a nicely barked rub tasty. If one of my guests requests a sauce I'll gladly apply some sauce the last 30 minutes of the cook for them.

I will put a thin layer of sauce on for the last 30 minutes of the cook on both my PBC and my big smoker. I've had people add additional sauce, and some that don't. Many people don't realize that I sauced them. I like the flavor profile of the thin layer of sauce, cooked down with the rub.

Comment

I brush them with some Texas rib candy and Texas pepper jelly the last 30 mins. We love that stuff it begins with sweetness follow with a little heat.

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep!! That stuff is awesome.

• DWCowles
              DWCowles commented
              Editing a comment
              I think I have Huskee hook on it Spinaker

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              I wouldn't say "hooked". But credit where due, it is a worthy addition to the lineup though. I am highly interested in making my own version since TPJ's is just wayyyy too expensive IMO.

By popular demand (emphasis on "demand") I tend to sauce during the last 20-30 minutes most of the time. The DW is inordinately fond of "candy" ... pork, chicken, you name it. I'm standing my ground with respect to beef though ...

Comment

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              I am more prone to use my glaze for wife's candy needs: Syrup (grade B maple or coffee) + Vinegar (Sherry or apple cider, though the sherry comes out better) + tabasco in a 5:4ash-3dash ratio. Produces a great candy bark, clean flavors, but intriguing.

• MBMorgan
              MBMorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              Potkettleblack - sounds good and well worth trying. Thanks!

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              I suspect any dark, non-fruity syrup would work... we did a side by side with maple and coffee, and couldn't really tell the difference without really thinking hard about it. The sherry vinegar works better, but the ACV is a lot cheaper.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here