Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston Butt yield loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boston Butt yield loss

I have been smoking butts for years and always held that the loss was always around 40% having a yield of 60% of what my starting weight. Recently, I increased my smoking temperature to 275 degrees from 250. Does increasing the temperature increase the loss? I recently provided pulled pork (smoked at 275) at a festival and it appears my loss increased from 40% to 50-55%. Does this make sense? Has anyone experienced a similar result? Thanks.

- from my experience, I haven't noticed that increasing the temp to 275 renders much more than 225. Of course, I always start probing at about 195 or so. Higher temps decrease the time on grate. My friends who turbo butts, briskets, etc. never complain how the cook seems less moist. It may just be that single cook for you.

have a great and safe 4th of July Holiday!

Comment

I went back and reviewed the Meathead's process for pulled pork and saw, "There is significant shrinkage and waste in the form of bone and globs of fat you discard when pulling. Count on about 30% loss". So, now I am really confused. I experienced what I thought to be a similar result at last year's event. However, I thought it might be because we were serving larger portions than expected, and that might still be the case, but this year I instituted order tickets so that I could tally the servings and sizes. I started with approximately 350 lbs. of raw butt and served (according to the order sheets) approximately 160 lbs. of finished pork. That is a huge difference .

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here