Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First cook - Two butts, SNS, MMR... Will this July 4th be the bomb or will it fizzle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First cook - Two butts, SNS, MMR... Will this July 4th be the bomb or will it fizzle?

First of all, let me say "thanks" for all of the great advise here. I haven't asked an official question here yet, but I've spent the past week and a half lurking and taking notes. This isn't exactly the first cook - my "beta" cook happened when the wife and kids went to my mother-in-laws for a week. I made a 8.5 lb shoulder on my 26" Weber with XL SNS. It took about 14 hours and it was well worth it. After testing, I brought leftovers into work and they said it was great. So, tonight starts cook #2 - two 6.5lb butts, dry brine, MMR, cherry wood chips. After the "beta" cook, I believe that anyone that can follow Meatheads book, go through "the Pit", and follow directions can make some really fantastic BBQ. That said, I'm off for a quick nap before getting up around 3am on the 4th. Send good vibes my way! I'll go for some pics later.

Good vibes and a good cook to you!

Comment

Good vibes! I'll bet you'll really love your BBQ when you use chunks instead of chips too.

Comment

I don't see any mention of the lubrication, errr, alcoholic beverage of choice. That is a key ingredient for success.

Comment

Let's go with "the bomb" ... have fun ...

Comment

Here's to a great cook today!

Comment

Well, CrustyBits ?? Any updates????

And remember, it didn't happen if there are no pics!

Comment

CrustyBits - all the best for a great cook and even better memories with family and friends! As was mentioned above, you simply must stay "hydrated" during your cooks. I prefer to think of it as maintaining my fitness doing 12 oz. curls!

have a great cook.

Comment

Good luck and come back with pics!

Comment

I survived. I think 4th of July should be reserved for the experienced, but I survived. Did I mention that I have a six and a two year old? Probably not. So, between parades, friends stopping by, and fireworks, I got my cook on and it was good. The SNS worked great, I have a permanent mental note that it must be emptied after every cook. There were a couple of times I had low temps (190-200) and it was probably due to ash covering the bottom vents. I had the vents to max, and only when I stirred the coals around when it came back to life. So after running around all day/night, I managed to get two pics. I wish I had gotten the part where they came off the grill, but it was literally "get the meat in the car and let's go". I used the bear claws, but I think I like two forks better for control. This is my daughters friends party, so I separated the pan into "stuff kids like" and "stuff adults like". In other words, bark and dark meat on one side, soft and light meat on the other. No wonder I didn't take a lot of pics. However, I did keep about 1/2 lb to the side for a sandwich or two at work. So, here's the pics. One at 2am, one at 12pm the next day. Oh, by the way, my party offering was gone first. That's all that matters. Also, lubrication was pretty light due to running around with two kids in tow. I toasted sunrise with a shot of Woodford Reserve, two beers before pulling the pork, and a sangria at the party. Any more than that and I was afraid of hitting the wall. Another note: "Carolina gold" in a squeeze bottle doesn't work well. The East Carolina vinegar sauce is excellent, but I had to tear away the Sweet Baby Rays from some adults to get them to try the random thin liquid in the mason jar - ha!.
                    Last edited by CrustyBits; July 5, 2016, 05:03 PM.

Comment

• CeramicChef
                      CeramicChef commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nothing but money! Very nicely done. Kudos!

Congrats! "All's well as ends well", my Granny used to say and it looks like your 4th ended well.

You done good, give yourself a pat or three on the back! And have another shot or two of that Woodford.
                    Last edited by billg71; July 5, 2016, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Looks like you need to give yourself a ataboy.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here