Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Standing up or flat on their back...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standing up or flat on their back...

okay....not what you're thinking (this is my first post). Got my Slow 'n Sear a couple of months ago, and will be doing my first ribs (SLC) with the set up. Going with "Last Meal Ribs" and the Memphis rub, and my question is should I lay the racks flat on the grate, or stand them up in an upright rib rack. I worry that standing them up will allow all the goodness to melt and flow right off. What are the experts' thoughts? Thank you in advance.

Marc

Either way, you should be just fine. I hang ribs vertically in the Pit Barrel Cooker and nothing melts and flows off. BTW, welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Thank you Sir...enjoy the Independence Day holiday.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit racertrader. It's great to have you here. Thank you for your support.

In a kettle the temps are much higher as you move up in the lid, so if you put them in a rib rack you'll want to flip the ribs for even cooking. I cook mine flat on the grate, but if you have more than will fit flat, then a rib rack is a good option.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members. It contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

See you around The Pit!

Comment

and the finished product....I found the temp control got more difficult about the 2 hour mark as the sun was more direct on the grill, and probably left them on a little too long (but my wife really enjoyed them). Had a good smoke ring, and I used applewood for a nice smoke.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
            fuzzydaddy commented
            Editing a comment
            Beautiful!

I've found that laying them flat on the grate works best with the SnS. When using a rib rack (especially a fully loaded one) the top half of the ribs seem to cook much faster than the lower half. When we lay them down flat on the grate we don't have that problem.

Comment

Thanks....we'll try that next time. I think I really needed to pull them about 30 minutes sooner, but they were still pretty good.

Comment

This look really good. Congratulations!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here