Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breakfast for Dinner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breakfast for Dinner

Howdy Meathead Maniacs!

Today was one of those days. I decided some comfort food was in order and I didn't want to go to great lengths to get it. I had some ham steaks in the refrigerator from a hog that my brother and i bought and custom butchered. So I decided that nothing would taste much better than breakfast for dinner.

The ham steaks had not been cured, so the first thing I had to do was lay some smoke on them. I chose hickory. Here are the ham steaks right out of the cryovac packaging and on the KK's grate. You can see some hickory smoke wafting over the steaks.

Here the steaks are after about 30 minutes on smoke with a grate temp of 225F.

Another 15 minutes on smoke and these bad boys are ready for for the eggs to meet the pork. [NOTE: I took the hickory wood out of the KK as I don't really like smoked eggs. Eggs soak up smoke in a BIG hurry!]

A few minutes later and here is dinner, ready to plate!

And another shot before plating.

Finally, here is the money shot. Ham and eggs, breakfast for dinner!

You can see Pete The Salt Pig's feet at the top of the picture. He chose for obvious reasons not to participate in this evening's cook!

This was a simple little cook that was really quite tasty. The ham steaks were about 45 minutes on hickory smoke and were delicious. The eggs didn't take more than about 7 minutes to cook. I'll do this cook again simply because it is so simple to do, no cleanup to speak of, and its great comfort food.

Thanks for looking!

Have a happy and safe 4th of July holiday! Happy Birthday, America!

Nice cook. The foamy looking white sauce? is that just the thin part of the white or is it a sauce. If you it's the thin part of the white, you can do the modernist thing and strain the egg to get rid of the thin watery white.

If it's a sauce, hollandaise?

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, that's the egg white aka the albumin. I wasn't going to any great lengths on this cook else I'd have strained the thin white. It's hard to get really fresh eggs around here, hence the thin runny part.

Nice cook bro. Great to see one from you. Makes me want a ceramic for sure.

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Jon. I appreciate it. Join us over in the Kamado Series and we'll make a believer out of you. Come on over to the Dark Side! Resistance is futile!

• Jon Solberg
      Jon Solberg commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks man. I can do that on a kettle for a whole lot less. I mean anything you can do in an oven you can do on a kettle right?

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL!!!! That's exactly the way I fell about the kamados. I have this gorgeous convection oven in the kitchen and I can't remember the last thing I looked in it. I use it mostly for a warming/holding oven for kamado cooks during parties! Sad.

Looks like a winner to me ~ Ron

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      Ron, it was a quick and fast dinner. It was tasty and the ham steaks were really most and flavorful. Thanks!

Yum! Novel idea. It flashes me back to Jon's idea of grillings eggs in top of slices of bacon....very similar principle, which I enjoy doing.

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      I've done the eggs on woven mats of bacon. That is a really nice cook as well. I'm lazy and just hate cleaning up skillets. So, we just use what we've got. Thanks for looking, Huskee!

• Jon Solberg
      Jon Solberg commented
      Editing a comment
      No pic. Didn't hapen. ; )

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here