Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Larger amounts of bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Larger amounts of bacon

If I am using meatheads bacon recipe for a 5lb piece of pork belly, do I make the recipe 5 seperate times? He says not to double,triple etc. the recipe. Would the 5lb peice still only need 7 days to cure?

yes. You can cure a 5 lb piece in 7 days because the thickness is the same.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Correct. You need more of the cure (salt, sugar, etc...) but the time will be the same.

Welcome Michaelr71

Comment

this is something that i have been kind of confused about. being on the forum i have seen SEVERAL posts from meathead saying do not do more than 1 lb of bacon at a time because the curing is based on surface area that the curing salt has access to (which is quite a bit more the more weight you add in to the belly) and that he has not come up with a calculation to modify the ingredients properly. however in his instructions it says if you make 2 lbs of bacon just double the recipe. maybe i'm remembering it wrong but based on his posts on the forum i always plan on doing my bacon 1 lb at a time just to be safe.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        There are lots of other qualified sources (e.g. Rhulman) that offer information on making bacon in other than 1# batches. MH is telling you what he has done and I suspect palliating his legal staff's liability concerns by not recommending something he has not personally done. Same reason you'll find little or no discussion of cold smoking here.
        Last edited by HorseDoctor; June 30, 2016, 11:01 AM.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here