Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Shot at Bacon - Wish Me Luck!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Shot at Bacon - Wish Me Luck!

So I was reading Meatheads bacon recipe and decided to give it a shot. Ordered some prague powder #1 from amazon and grabbed a 2lb slab of pork belly from the butcher. Slab is curing in the fridge now. The only thing that sucks about this is waiting a week before I can throw it in the smoker and and enjoy the bacony goodness!

Yea shall be rewarded for your patience...

Comment

..the wife says if it works out that we are gunna give people bacon for christmas lol.....

Comment

• W.A.
        W.A. commented
        Editing a comment
        You must really like "people" to give away bacon!

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        Start checking around for a place that will give you a decent price if you order pork belly by the case, preferably skinned. If you're going to do it, it really is very little extra work to do a case worth at a time. Bacon actually makes a great and unique gift.

kingdarb you will do great with the bacon. I do think that giving bacon as a gift is a great idea, and by the way I love bacon. My address is....just kidding. You'll make some folks very happy!

Comment

it takes a while to cure but i don't think there is a recipe that is easier and faster (no stall, easy to hit temp, fairly thin meat so it cooks fast) than bacon. it's so simple and the effort to reward ratio is way on the reward side of the equation.

Comment

Well the first bacon cure/cook is done, and I am very happy with how it turned out. I will make this again for sure, and I also want to try the maple bacon. Next time I will make sure to get some bigger ziplock bags, as I had to cut the pork belly that I used in half to get it to fit.

Comment

• MBMorgan
            MBMorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            Very nice! (I assume that I'll be on your Christmas gift list???)

• kingdarb
            kingdarb commented
            Editing a comment
            Heh yep!!!

Looks great! You can get 2 gallon ZipLocks but no harm cut in half. Slices much easier (and safer) in my Chef's Choice slicer anyway. Besides the half length slices are perfect size for BLTs! Well done!

Comment

I remember eating skin on bacon on my uncles farm as a kid. After the first bite, I started pulling the skin off, but I don't remember anyone else doing that.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here