Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulling pork for a party question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulling pork for a party question

Hello all,
    As can be seen in an earlier post, in cooking some pork for a party on Saturday. I would be interested to hear your opinions on when to pull it. I plan on having it done hours before the party and will put it in a cambro to hold. My question is when to pull it and put it in the serving containers so i have at least some time to clean up. It's also about 30lbs so it will take me a bit too pull. Party is at 4, i was thinking pulling at 3 and then keeping warm on low grill. Thoughts? Thanks

That would work. Don't overthink it. It'll be moist, and if you mix in some BBQ sauce or some butter, can't go wrong there either.

Maybe you could have a "pulling party" so people feel connected to the pulled park they just pulled. That'd be fun. Work is distributed.

I do a torch your own creme brûlée party. That's fun! Big hit. People love it!

Comment

• bollingknowles
      bollingknowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I've done a brulee party before. Those are great. I'm thinking it will be good to get out out right when people begin to arrive. I'm all about having everything done before the guests arrive so i get to hang out to

I usually try to wait to pull, slice, or cut meat until as close as possible to serve time. When helping with some catering we have literally pulled enough to get the line started and kept pulling while the line was going filling, up as the pans ran down.

I'm not sure how you are cooking... If you are wrapping your butts or not... If you are or are using a foil pan while it is on the smoker then I like to reserve the juice (I also run it through a fat separator / gravy strainer) and keep the juice warm and pour it back over the meat (and mix a little with some left over rub) right before I take a tray out...

As a side note... if you have a way to elevate your work surface for pulling then do it. I am going to buy some pvc to extend the legs of my resin tables because pulling pork butts seems to kill my back... if you can raise your work surface it seems to help with that some.

Comment

Put your pork in disposable pans and pull as the guests go through the line. Clean up will consist of throwing the pans away.

Comment

I had to pull some pork Monday 10.5 hours before serving. Can't stand that.

Comment

I like Dr Rok's suggestion too. What I've done in the past is pulled it as close to serving time as realistically possible given the unique circumstances of the event, and placed the meat in a large crock pot(s) on low or warm, whatever the lowest setting is. Stir every once in a while. If it looks dry add some water & butter....but on low/warm it held just fine w/o needing any moisture in my experiences in such cases. But I wrap my butts right after the stall and add the collected liquid from the foil back into it when pulling to help in that regard.

Comment

I have also pulled and put in a crock pot and added about 1/2 cup of water per 5 pounds, and about 1 tablespoon of butter per pound. This was a delivery to a party and I stirred occasionally and after an hour it was still excellent. I did not wrap during the smoke, so I had no juices in the foil to add back. Freshly pulled is the best, but this works very well when the situation dictates.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5435.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	184947

Comment

Could you do a 50% in a bowl and then put the other 50% on the grill mixed with some butter? Depends if you can step away for a bit to pull when the supply goes down.

I pulled 14lbs last Saturday. The butts were in the faux cambrio for an hour and I pulled it as soon as I walked in the door. I didn't receive complaints, but it did get cold towards the end. I would be interested hearing what you decided and how it turns out.

Comment

Pork shoulder is very forgiving, pull whenever it is convenient for you, keep it warm and add a little liquid to keep it moist (apple juice, water, butter). It will be just fine!

I cooked 50 pounds of shoulder in two batches on the two weekends before my son's High School graduation. We pulled after resting and froze it in food saver bags, and reheated it in boiling water the evening of the party. Turned out great, we got lots of complements on it!

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will be wrapping so i think I'll pull half right before and half during.

Comment

I did 65 lbs for a party. Scheduled to start eating at noon, started pulling about 10:00 (had 4 helpers). Had 3 Nesco roasters. Added a couple of cups of apple juice and about a stick of butter to each roaster. Stirred occasionally. People ate all afternoon and it worked out great. Good Luck!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here