Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duck Fat injected pork shoulder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duck Fat injected pork shoulder

My first real post on here other than the introductory post. I used to work in a restaurant where we confit whole suckling pigs in duck fat and then prepared them a myriad of ways after they were cooked. It was ridiculously delicious and rich. I'm thinking on my next pork shoulder, I'll inject it with room temperature duck fat and hopefully get a similar result. Has anyone on here tried that? I know it seems a little over the top, but thats how I like to do it. I've been doing them recently with a 24-48hr dry brine, a little mustard slather and rub...no injections.

I have done that. Its the best thing I have ever done to a piece of meat. If you can find an economical source of duck fat. Its welllllll worth it my friend. Welcome to the Pit, We are happy to have you here.

Pobeque

Comment

Inside out confit. I'm excited to try it. I could probably get it wholesale from my old restaurant friends

Comment

Welcome Pobeque, I too have used duck fat for confit on the job, but in a pinch(this includes injecting), bacon fat works very well. Lard also works well too. So does chicken fat(yes I'm that crazy to save my chicken fat in the freezer for special occasions!). Beef tallow ,from rendering trim from your steaks, is also good. It's as much the method as the components, in my experience.
        As far as the lard is concerned, don't use the stuff at the local grocery store, although it will work. Find an ethnic store, as they know what is up with fat that has flavor, and is not over processed. Good luck, and good cooking from Houston, Alaska.

Comment

I wonder if it is any better than just mixing in duck fat after pulling the pork?

Comment

I bet it's very similar to just mixing some duck fat into the final product, but then you look like less of a badass when you can't call it duck fat injected. 😜

Comment

I've done it and absolutely love the result. Works great on smoked chicken and turkeys as well!

Comment

I just noticed duck fat for sale by the dairy section at Fresh Market

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here