Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First go at pulled pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You did that on your gasser, Potkettleblack ? What did you use for your smoke source? Did you use a water pan?

It sure looks great--I bet it tasted as good as it looks. Congrats!

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; June 20, 2016, 06:34 PM.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      The other idea I had for the long term is to get a pellet smoker. No charcoal, not in violation of the insurance and not technically a problem with Chicago. Just like keeping my propane tanks outside is not a violation of Chicago rules, because I'm not storing them in my apartment.

• vandy
      vandy commented
      Editing a comment
      I think you would love the pellet smoker, they do a really good job with pork butts. I have done serveral on my Traeger and they have all turned out really great, even the ones that I overcooked because I was not paying attention to the temp of the meat.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Whatever I add is a couple years in the future, at the earliest. The Genesis is only a year old and really getting worked out this year.

So, for leftovers, I made a quick mop of 1/4 c of apple cider vinegar, half a teaspoon of MMD, two grinds of salt and a shake of red pepper flakes, whisked to roughly even murkiness, and now I had the pulled pork and flavor that I really wanted. Wife prefered the smoky sauce, with a shot of the Lillie Q Hot & smoky (which I don't really care for on pork). I prefer something with a bit more acid to balance the richness out. And man did it.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      You like the same flavor profile that I do, Potkettleblack. A bit of acid balances so nicely with the unctuous quality of the pork. I'm going to try your combo for a side sauce on my next batch of pork goodness.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Idea I kinda stole from Raichlen's How to Grill. On the beef ribs, memphis style, he mops right at the end with a rub + white vinegar. I was out of white, so I used ACV, and since all of Raichlen's rubs use salt, and MMD doesn't, I added the two cranks of salt. Pep flakes for a tad of picante.

Nice looking cook PKB! FYI I usually don't wrap my pork butts. If the stall lasts too long, I'll raise the pit temp to push thru it. Prok Butts are very forgiving, I've never had bad results from pushing the pit temp to 325 or 350.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here