Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork shoulder question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork shoulder question

I want to smoke a pork shoulder with charcoal and finish it on the gas side of my grill. My thought was to use a snake pattern for a slow and low burn on the coals with wood chips. I have been able to keep that at 210 for 6 hrs. Then switch to to gas grill using one burner to keep temp at 220 (indirect heat) for another 8 hrs. Any thoughts or tips. I don't want to keep feeding the coals at night and I don't want to wrap it?
    Thank in advance

Should work

Comment

MObbqJLH are you cooking a picnic or Boston butt? I think your plan will work, but with the snake method you should be able to cook on charcoal the entire time. I am assuming you are using a 22" Weber kettle. I've had no trouble holding temp on my son's 26" using the snake method. Picnics tend to be drier than butts, so wrapping may be a good idea. If you are using a different cooker my response mignt be different.

Comment

• mdotcda13
        mdotcda13 commented
        Editing a comment
        Boston butt, char-griller 50/50 I have always wrapped them but it's seems that I lose that smoky flavor when I wrap them. Wasn't sure if the gas burner would be different from straight coals. As far as taste or texture (dry).

mdotcda13 is your cooker the one that is gas on one side and charcoal on the other side? If so I had one of those but never used the snake method. You might try something like Meathead's recommendation for a low and slow set up with a water pan to shield from the heat. I am not sure how long the charcoal,will go, but if I remember correctly it went longer than 6 hours on my son's kettle. I usually pull my Boston Butts at 200 internal temp double wrap in foil and put in a faux cambro for at least two hours before serving. It softens the bark some but retains the smokey flavor. Let me know how it turns out.

Comment

• SoonerBQuer
        SoonerBQuer commented
        Editing a comment
        +1 on the water pan. The humidity will certainly help keep the butt juicier. Be sure and run your cooker without the water pan after the food is done for a while. 30 mins - an hour to dry it out. No rust or mold.

Yes it is the one with gas and charcoal. Thanks for you help.

Comment

Everyone's already directly given you good advice but "bro" get a smoker bro. I like the electronic pellet smokers but there is also something mystical to a wood smoker. I can't do a pork butt if it hasn't been smoked forever and you can open up to the world of briskett. I'm not saying you NEED a smoker but... you need a smoker. Xmas is coming up, thanksgiving, you ever smoked turkey. I did a turkey with a pan with drippings in it in the smoker. It was heaven man HEAVEN. Charcoal I like for steaks burgers ect. 4th of July fire it up!!! Smoker bro!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here