Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bone in or boneless butts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bone in or boneless butts...

Let me start off by saying I live in Texas where Brisket is king. The only pork we usually cook is Ribs and sausage. Everybody else in the free world does pork shoulders. I have done a couple and never been very happy with the outcome. (not that I know what its suppose to taste like) That being said I have a question about pork butts. I usually buy my meat from Costco. Apparently they have changed meat vendors so all the meat changed. Like use to be you could get a single bone in butt. Now they only have 2 boneless together (in the same cryovack) My local Super Market has individual bone in Butts. I know there are no classifications for pork (IE: Select, choice, prime) So which (if either) is better bone in or boneless? I have read that the bone brings flavor?? Do yo think the store ones are as good as the Costco ones?? thanks you for your time.

I believe if you read some of the articles on this site, you will find that the bone adding flavor is a myth. I think you are good to go with boneless. Just be sure to tie it up so it maintains a nice shape during cooking.

Comment

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Martybartram the boneless butts seem to be the consensus so far! (I really thought it would be bone in! That's what I get for trying to think lol)

• martybartram
      martybartram commented
      Editing a comment
      All my butts come bone in unless I take the bone out myself. And I only do that if I am taking an un-pulled finished butt somewhere else (work) and pulling it there. I have learned from this site that the bone in flavor thing is a myth, however, I like bone in so I can give it to my dogs!

• martybartram
      martybartram commented
      Editing a comment
      Another factor to consider, and someone may have added it is that if the cost per pound is the same, why pay for the bone unless the cost is negligible. My dogs remind me that our security contract includes bones in the room and board.

GadjetGriller while I agree you probably won't get any added flavor from the bone, I believe they cook better with the bone in. The bone behaves much like a spike in a potato bringing added heat to the center of the meat. I have cooked them both ways and think that bone in is better. It has been years since I cooked a boneless. I buy double packs all the time and when I am not cooking for a crowd I cook one and freeze the other for later.

Comment

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      HorseDoctor that seems like a good idea! I have a small YouTube channel (GadjetGriller, yes with a J) I'm always looking for content to put up. May have to try that. ok gotta start saving my Pennies...

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      LA Pork Butt With a name like yours I'm betting you know of what you speak? right now my small Freezer is full of vacuum sealed bits and pieces once I get rid of some of that I'll do just what you said!
      Last edited by GadjetGriller; June 6, 2016, 02:49 PM.

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      GadjetGriller watch for sales. Before I moved to Texas I would get a twin pack of 10 pounders for $1.37 a pound or less in Louisiana. The sales on butts are harder to come by, but brisket is dirt cheap compared to what I paid in Louisiana. So now I am learning brisket.

I usually get my butts at Kroger and always bone in. I have never tried a boneless so I can't say which is better, I just know that the bone in ones that I have done have all turned out pretty good with the best one being the one that looked like a meterite that I cooked with MMD.

Comment

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      When I lived in DFW loved Kroger! but now in West Texas there is only one supermarket (they have 3 different names but all carry the same stuff and owned by the same company Albertson)

• vandy
      vandy commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh yea we used to have Albertson's in the Memphis area and they went by the name Of Cecil's but they were bought out by another company and then they went belly up only after a few years. Kroger and Wally World have a strong hold on this area. Kroger is always better quality though.

Thank you folks. I found Meatheads post"Perfect Pulled Pork Recipe" last night. He said that the bone mostly helps to hold all the muscles together, But if you can only find boneless that's fine just tie it up real good. Well I'm lazy and poor lol so decided to go with the single bone in from the store. It doesn't need to be tied up and it cost about half of the double ones Win Win!! My main concern was, is the store bought lesser meat than what can be found at Costco? (like beef) but no one said Oooh dont buy pork from the store!! so I'm feeling pretty good about it!

Comment

All of my butts have been from Sam's Club and even with changes in suppliers there, all have come out equally fantastic by keeping my process consistent whether cooked on my Kettles or BGE.

Comment

• GadjetGriller
        GadjetGriller commented
        Editing a comment
        Would you mind outlining your Process? Or if it can be found on here point me to it? Thanks in advance!

Thanks fuzzydaddy interesting to hear that Sams changed Meat vendors as well? Wonder if both Costco and Sams get their meat from the same providers?? Costco stopped selling (here in Lubbock anyway) Choice Brisket and now only seems to have Prime brisket. I know Prime is better but more expensive. I really liked the Choice it was way better than the select stuff at the big Supermarkets (and usually cheaper to) So have been trying to find a friend with a Sams Card to go see what Sams has to offer.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
        fuzzydaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        When I purchased a whole case the supplier name is on the box so that's how I knew they had changed. I don't think I've seen the supplier name on the individual packaged butts.

I've switched to boneless butts, partially for convenience but mostly because I cut butts larger than 7 lbs in half for more bark flavor. It's more difficult to get two closely-sized pieces with the bone in. Maybe I could do it if I went to butcher school, but I'd rather smoke meat instead. Usually, trying to follow the muscles, the bone-in side is larger. It takes longer to cook than the boneless "half" mostly because it is a bit thicker.

I can't tell one whit of difference in flavor, tenderness, or juciness between bone-in vs. boneless, and I've cooked them side by side for a long time (by splitting the butt, one half always had the bone in and the other half was boneless)

Sometimes I tie the butt and sometimes I don't if it looks pretty solid. Sometimes I use string to tie it, and sometimes I use these silicone bands from Amazon, just because I have 'em.

Kathryn

Comment

• GadjetGriller
        GadjetGriller commented
        Editing a comment
        I saw where Meathead said for more bark cut in two. Now you do it as well! I like the bark! seems like a great idea (gonna go check Amazon for those bands!)
        Last edited by GadjetGriller; June 6, 2016, 01:51 PM. Reason: had a double word

• GadjetGriller
        GadjetGriller commented
        Editing a comment
        fzxdoc Does the bifurcation (<-- Love that word use it when I can!) of the butts result in shorter cook times? Or since you only cut down big hunks of meat it doesn't help much?

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        GadjetGriller , no, cutting the butts in half does not reduce the cook time, because the thickness of the meat is not affected.

I prefer the bone out, because it also gets rid of the veiny membrane that's right next to the bone. Plus, you get more bark when the bone is out (I don't tie it either). If I have time, I'll cut the bone out myself.

Comment

• GadjetGriller
        GadjetGriller commented
        Editing a comment
        Boneless is beginning to slip away from Bone in?? I like the more bark idea I think that was what was missing in my last cooks. Thank you!

GadjetGriller here's how I prepare and cook my butts. Let me know if you have any additional questions. I'm glad to help!

I cook bone-in butts (always 2 at a time).
      Trim the fat cap to ~1/8" thick or less.
      Dry brine with Morton's kosher salt for 2 days.
      A light coating of vegetable oil then add Meathead's Memphis Dust an hour or 2 before cooking.
      I do not tie them with butcher's twine as they hold together fine without it.
      I cook them at 225-245 indirect.
      When the internal temp reaches ~195 I check for probe tender (meaning a temp probe inserted feels like it's going into butter; practically no resistance).
      If they are not probe tender at 195, I cook up to ~203 for probe tender.
      Cook time is usually ~14 hours.
      I wrap in double thickness aluminum foil and put in a faux cambro for 1-3 hours, depending on when dinner is.

This AR article is my guide. I have never used the crutch.

Comment

• GadjetGriller
        GadjetGriller commented
        Editing a comment
        That is a great run down!! thanks I'll go check out the article as well Thank you! I can see why you do 2 at once 14 hours need to have it last a while!! Gonna have to start early in the AM with a couple cans of Off!

• fuzzydaddy
        fuzzydaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        You're welcome! Sometimes I give the extra away and other times I freeze for later. The crutch will reduce the time, but I'm stuck in my ways. One of these days I'll crutch after the stall and into the 180-190 range.

I always try to buy everything bone-out because you are paying a lot of money for the bone. That's except for ribs of course (but the other day I did find boneless pork back ribs at Sam's - didn't look like "country style" ribs - haven't tried them yet).

I find it funny (well, sad actually) when restaurants sell you a supposed bigger piece of ribeye "bone-in for added flavor". What a rip-off! Most of the extra weight is the bone (not meat), the bone doesn't add any flavor, and unless you gnaw on the bone, you lose meat that way too.

Comment

I get my butts from Costco as well, the twin boneless. what I do is season and tie with kitchen twine.
        The bone just adds pennies at checkout, its useless.

Comment

• GadjetGriller
          GadjetGriller commented
          Editing a comment
          Very nice! great looking butts looks like some great bark!!

Regarding your inquiry about whether the grocery store or Costco has better quality meat, I would not expect there to be any difference unless one of them is the "enhanced" pork that's already been brined. I've never seen the enhanced pork at Costco or Sam's, but one of my local grocery chains is now selling enhanced pork butt. Stay away from the enhanced stuff since you're paying by the pound for all the water and chemicals they added. If you want to try some superior pork, look for heritage breeds at your local farmer's markets.

Comment

I usually cook bone-in. I prefer them, they're less flop-all-over in my experience, and they're usually much cheaper. If they're 6, 8, 9 lbs, I will always cut them in half. One half has a bone, one doesn't. They're rarely identical in size after cutting, since I have to cut around an odd-shaped bone, but in the real world it matters nada what their shape is. As long as they're somewhat equal in overall shape & thickness, they'll cook up just fine.

Comment

MattTheGR8 its weird we have many Pig farms around the Lubbock area. But none sale to the public (I've looked!) As far as Farmer markets go here (I'm trying not to laugh) there is one it has maybe 5 tents and most of the stuff is from the same place the supermarkets get theirs from (I've looked in the trashcans behind the tents same boxes and everything) The supposed local stuff is usually from Down San Antonio way ( a good 6 hour drive away) Alas when I lived in DFW Though Lewisville the town I lived in had a decent sized one but Grapevine ( a short 10 min drive from Lewisville) well they have built a large park for their pavilions with at least 50 to 60 vendors and then Dallas Wow 4 Sheds a couple of which are enclosed and air conditioned (for the 103 Degree days in July, Aug) with 1 to 2 hundred vendors and yes they had the Heritage pork and Grass fed Beef! They even now have a place called the Market Where they sale food and other things like spices and local honey. Man I miss DFW lol But I love my Mom and she needs my help right now so here I shall stay.
            Last edited by GadjetGriller; June 7, 2016, 01:56 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here