Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled Pork with Leg (Ham)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled Pork with Leg (Ham)

Hi All,
    I know shoulder is the usual joint for doing pulled pork, but I have a couple boned leg joints left from our Gloucester Old Spots which we kept over last winter. And having got the bug for low and slow cooking I wanted to make use of them.

Does anyone have any experience of doing pulled pork with this joint?
    Or any other recommended ways of cooking?

Thanks in advance for your advice

Vic.

You say ham, so it's the rear leg? If so no don't cook to pulling temp 150 to 185 max
    Last edited by grantw; September 14, 2014, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Leg joint could also be the "picnic" which is the front shoulder, the lower part containing the joint (the upper part of the front shoulder often is called the butt or Boston butt). Many people have great results using this for pulled pork, some even say it's better. not familiar with using a ham (rear leg) for pulled pork. Likely it's a tougher meatier cut but there's only one way to find out...

Comment

I'm in the UK so terminology probably differs a bit. But yes, I'm referring to the rear leg. From reading elsewhere, it does appear to be a tougher and leaner cut. As you say only one way to find out. But I should probably do a trial run before inviting people round.

Thanks guys. I will report back to improve shared knowledge.

Comment

If you decide not to try pulling it, you could try your hand at curing it then cooking it in a smoker. (as opposed to the cold-smoking method used for most smoked hams).
          Create a smoked ham at home that will put any store-bought ham to shame thanks to this simple, yet flavor packed recipe. The key to creating a ham like the ones you normally purchase during the holidays is the curing process. Without curing a fresh ham, you won't achieve the same flavor or deep red color of the traditional type.
          Last edited by _Keith; September 15, 2014, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here