Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork loin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork loin

Just a word of thanks to those who responded to my posts about smoking a pork loin. I gave it a shot yesterday and it turned out great. Very juicy and flavorful with the Memphis Dust rub. The only other concern I had was the texture of it. It was somewhat "chewy" - not tough, but chewy. I sliced it into thin pieces with a meat slicer. I pulled it off the smoker at 148 degrees and foiled it for about 45 minutes. Anything wrong with that technique? Anyway, it tasted great and we will soon finish the leftovers.

Hey man, that is why we are here. I was really green behind the ears when I started, I wouldn't be anywhere if I hadn't experienced the same thing from helpful members. That is what makes this place special.

You might try to take it off the smoker a little bit earlier. Its going to continue to cook in the foil for a bit.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker, Everyone Here Thought It Was Moss! 😙😉😇😉😙

I am curious if you injected it. I injected one the other day using the recipe from this site and it made a world of difference. Additionally, I gave her a little roll across the direct side to crisp up the outside a touch. I did not wrap. I used the Pesto Crusted Pork Loin recipe for the loin. Pulled it off at 155, sliced, and served it.

Pork Brine Injection 2 tablespoons kosher salt
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire
    2 tablespoons rice vinegar
    1 cup apple juice or low sodium pork, chicken, or beef stock (I used chicken stock)
    3 cups water

Comment

Yeah, I would pull it earlier than 148, especially if you foil it afterwards. I pull at 140ish depending how thick it is.

Comment

Interesting comment on chewiness, I have never experienced that before. My gut would be that it was overcooked a little, but that could be my taste as I like my pork loins cooked to more than medium rare but not quite medium. To achieve this, I like to pull pork loins around 120, and sear to 135. I find carryover then takes them to the perfect 140 or so which is where I really like them.
        Last edited by bbqoaf; May 31, 2016, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by martybartram View Post
          I am curious if you injected it. I injected one the other day using the recipe from this site and it made a world of difference. Additionally, I gave her a little roll across the direct side to crisp up the outside a touch. I did not wrap. I used the Pesto Crusted Pork Loin recipe for the loin. Pulled it off at 155, sliced, and served it.

Pork Brine Injection 2 tablespoons kosher salt
          1 tablespoon sugar
          1 tablespoon Worcestershire
          2 tablespoons rice vinegar
          1 cup apple juice or low sodium pork, chicken, or beef stock (I used chicken stock)
          3 cups water
          No I did not try injecting it. Trying to learn the basics first, but sure sounds like a good idea. I think next time I will take it out of the smoker sooner. As I said, the flavor was fine but not "melt in your mouth" tender.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here