Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st Pork Shoulder on the Weber/Smokinator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st Pork Shoulder on the Weber/Smokinator

Started with 12.95 lb boneless pork shoulder from Costco:

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	17391

Opened up, it fell nicely into two halves, which I tied (not beautifully) and dry brined for about 12 hours overnight:

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	17392

Oiled and rubbed with Memphis Dust:

Name:	photo 4.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	17394

Then onto the Weber at 235°. (Used apple, some hickory bits I had left laying around, and later some oak flooring when I was trying tp get temps up quick):

Name:	photo 1-1.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	17395

It ran pretty good for the first 5 hours between 225-250° with some spikes that I allowed, but then the rain got stronger and I had trouble keeping the temp at much more than 225°. Still, they ran through to 170ish before the first stall and that was a short one. Then at about 8 hours they stalled at 190° and would not budge for anything. We had already bought movie tickets online so after giving them plenty of opportunity to push through, I put them in a large foil pan and into a 200 ° oven.

Name:	photo 3-1.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	17396

Name:	photo 2-2.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	17397

They sat in the oven for about 3 hours. Took them out when I got home and they passed the fork test, so I pulled them with the bear claws.

Name:	photo 5.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	17398

Tastes as good as it looks. I think we'll be having pulled pork tacos tomorrow night. GF, who likes bacon & ribs, but has never had pulled pork, decided it smelled so good she'd join us. Then I'll finally open my FoodSaver and parse out some freezer bags of this stuff.

Never would've happened if not for MH, AR and The Pitmaster's Club.
    Attached Files

That is an awesome cook right there. Is that a 26.5"???

Comment

• The Burn
      The Burn commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! And nope - 22.5" - Performer Silver. Really happy I went with it instead of the OTG - the lid rest, the side table and the bottom rack all come in really handy.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Thing looks huge on my puter.

Awesome looking pork

Comment

Totally splendid looking pork, proud!

Comment

I particularly appreciate that second stall observation as I am there right now. I will bump the Yoder to 250 to see if that pushes it over the edge... we might should have crutched these!

Comment

AWESOME looking pig TB!

Comment

NICE TB!

Name:	PBA.png
Views:	74
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	23500

Comment

• Jon Solberg
              Jon Solberg commented
              Editing a comment
              Seen this coming! Well deserved it is!

Very NICE!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here