Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cryovac meat sulphur smell??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cryovac meat sulphur smell??

I got a three pack of spares from Costco and when I opened them they had a strong sulphur smell. Usually when I get these they have a small sulphur like odor but it is never really that strong. This time it is really strong. I have read that this is normal for cryovac pork but I was wondering if it is okay. Has anyone else had this same thing happen? Did you smoke them anyway? How did they turn out? Just wondering if I should try and hit the grocery store first thing in the morning or just go ahead and smoke them. I am hosting a party and wouldn't want to ruin it with bad tasting ribs or even worse get anyone sick. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Let them air out a bit and see if it tames down some.

Comment

• Bobby_K
      Bobby_K commented
      Editing a comment
      I did let them air out a bit and they got better but still pretty noticeable smell. I salted them and seasoned them and they are wrapped in the fridge but not I am starting to second guess myself on it.

I'd rather throw it out then take that chance. Meat ain't supposed to smell like farts. It's the other way around. Don't take the chance on making someone sick. Make Costco replace them.

Comment

• Bobby_K
      Bobby_K commented
      Editing a comment
      You need to patten the saying "meat ain't supposed to smell like farts, it's the other way around" lol. I most certainly will use that when I take them back.

Agreed. If you don't like the smell, take it back and don't take the chance.

Comment

• Bobby_K
      Bobby_K commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. Heading to the market for some spares straight from the butcher now. You've be very helpful.

Costco will take them back and replace them for you. Better safe than sorry, especially with a table full of guests!

Isn't sulphur a by-product of anaerobic bacterial processes?

Comment

Arrggg! That there be the Devil's meat with the smell of sulphur and brimstone!

Comment

Bobby_K, That's a No Brainer! If Meat or Anything Else has a off oder, DON'T EAT IT!!
        Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan
        Last edited by Danjohnston949; May 31, 2016, 10:16 AM.

Comment

The smell is from the saw cutting the bones. It should quickly go away, but if it doesn't, I wouldn't eat them.

Comment

• boftx
            boftx commented
            Editing a comment
            I think you need to post some solid references for that. Meathead can you confirm or deny this?

Sulphur smell and meat only belong in H-E-double-toothpicks. Toss those ribs, unless the deductible on your health insurance is less than the cost of the ribs. Just kidding. Toss 'em.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here