Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork loin cooking temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork loin cooking temp

I have a question about smoking a pork loin (approx. 5 lbs). I plan on doing a dry brine, then a dry rub for this cut. My question is about cooking temp for my smoker. I have read on various sites a cooking temp of anywhere from 225 to 325 degrees. Since this is a much leaner and "cleaner" cut than a butt, I am thinking I can smoke it quite a bit higher than 225. If so, what is the recommended smoking temp, and at what internal meat temp (145 ?) do I take it out and let it rest. Thanks. What a great site this is.

I target 225, but don't sweat it until it clears 250 or higher. The only time I go into the 3s is for poultry or if I have something wrapped to power through the stall. That's just me.

Comment

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      CLEARLY you should listen to MBMorgan and Jerod Broussard!

Just for reference: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porkn...oin_roast.html

Comment

I prefer 325 for loin since it is so lean like chicken breast.

Comment

+1 on what Jerod said. And I would pull it at 140, since pork is safe to eat at 145. On a 5 pound loin you will get carryover.

Comment

I cook them 325 and pull at 140, as others have said. Enjoy!

Comment

I love smoking whole pork loin. It is one of my favorite things... I smoke mine at around 275 and it usually takes around 3 hours. I pull them off at around 140-145. Have never really had a problem with them being dry etc... I have been known to wrap them in a bacon basket weave before too. Big thing is (like most large cuts of meat)... do not cut or slice until you are actually ready to serve it... That is where you will run into some problems with starting to dry out.

Comment

Thanks for the great information guys - just what I was looking for. I am going to give it a shot tomorrow. Also appreciate the tip about waiting to slice it. Makes a lot of sense when you think about it.

Comment

• Nate
                Nate commented
                Editing a comment
                Best of luck. I would rather do a couple of these for 20 - 30 people than burgers and dogs... they can throw it on a bun and eat as a sandwich or just all by itself... I'm doing one on memorial day (along w/ other things) and am making a carolina mustard sauce to try on it as a sandwich.

I hope you have a great cook! Even if you don't do it tomorrow, I would definitely give the bacon weave a try. It bathes the loin in nice bacon fat, and it really knocks it out of the park! Plus it just looks plain cool. 😎

Comment

I think it depends on the quantity and quality of the smoke that is produced by your pit at various temps, if you really want a smokey flavor. I do mine at 225f because I get more smoke at that temp then something higher.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here