Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cryovac Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cryovac Ribs

Got 4 slabs of baby backs I'm doing tomorrow. They are the Hormel Cryovac kind. Dumb question from a rib newbie. Being that they are in a sodium solution as it is, I can just skip the salting phase and go right to washing off, drying, and applying rub....correct? Planning on letting rub sit overnight.

If they are enhanced with a brine solution I would skip the salt.

Are they the Always Tender Hormel ribs?
    Last edited by Jon Solberg; May 29, 2016, 07:35 AM.

Comment

• PappyFatcap
      PappyFatcap commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes sir, they are.

You are correct PappyFatcap

Comment

Definitely skip the salt ... unless you LIKE really tight rings and watch bands

Comment

I'm looking forward the hearing how your cook turned out.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Solberg View Post
          I'm looking forward the hearing how your cook turned out.

Cook went well. Used 3-2-1 method. Put some Salt free Dizzy Dust on the night before. After 2 hours, I drizzled the slabs with honey, a little cider vinegar, and butter, then foiled. For the last hour, took them out of the foil and basted with a vinegar based Carolina sauce from Bone Doctors.

One of the slabs was completely falling apart after the foil, so that one didn't get the last hour in the smoker. Just one of those things. The other three came out perfect with that last hour in.

Comment

Here's a look at the results. You can see the one slab that didn't cooperate and fell apart right after the foiling.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here