Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small pieces of shoulder..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small pieces of shoulder..

Apologies if this has been asked before.

A supermarket fail has led to my being delivered 2 small (approx. 4lb) pieces of pork shoulder rather than one big one. Any suggestions around how long I should aim to do these for, at 225-250 in a KJ classic.

Appreciate that every piece of meat is different but just a rough guide so I can plan my timings would be very helpful!

Thanks in advance.. .

@neildumcan , i think they did you a favor! That is a perfect size that'll give you plenty of bark.

As to time, it depends on the thickness.

Comment

• martybartram
      martybartram commented
      Editing a comment
      Double the bark double the pleasure

neilduncan thickness of the meat determines cook time, so if each piece ia as thick as one peice would have been expect the cook time to be the same as if it was one piece.

Comment

neilduncan another factor is how much space is on your grill. I cooked four 3-4# butts (2 x 7.5lb butt halved). Took me 10.5 hours of cooking on a 22" Weber. Grate was over crowded. Takes me 2-4 hours less for a butt that size if it is cooked alone. So factoring in your grate size and presuming it won't be overcrowded like my example, as LA Pork Butt said if an 8lber and a 4lber are the same thickness (top to bottom) they should take about the same time.

Comment

The ones I get from the butcher are 4 to 4.5lbs., bone in (they do not come with the Money Muscle) look like a standard brick in dimension and on the pellet grill at 225-240 they take about 11 to 12 hours without any wrapping.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here