Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Butt Straight From Freezer to Smoker -- Preparation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Butt Straight From Freezer to Smoker -- Preparation

I bought a pork butt from my grocery store because I couldn't pass up the inexpensive price / pound.

I don't plan on smoking it right away, so I'll store it in my freezer.

How would I go about preparing the pork butt to go in the freezer? I know all I need to do is add an extra ~1.5 hours to the cook once I put it on the smoker, but, do I put rub on it now (before putting it in the freezer)? How about a dry brine?

Thanks! I do have a FoodSaver, if required!

Dry brine for a couple days, apply rub, freeze.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!!! Will do!

+1^

I'd be certain to use rather quickly, 4 weeks or so, as you don't want freezer burn, unless you are planning on vacuum packing.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

How long do you expect to wait before using? One of my local stores will have cryovac pork butts/arms at .99/lb and I always pick one up and just keep it in the fridge if I can count on using it within 2 weeks (usually 1). Granted, I wouldn't dream of getting one without freezing it if it wasn't sealed like that.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Weeks or months. I suppose if I do the FoodSaver, I'll be ok, even if it's not cryovac'd. Right?

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok, definitely freezer with those timeframes. Foodsaver should help a lot.

scottranda, I have had vacuum sealed chicken in the freezer for over a year without a problem, as long as the seal is good. I kept pork for six months or more. According to the USDA, food kept constantly at 0 degrees will not spoil, however, the quality will start to deteriorate after several months.
    Last edited by Thunder77; May 19, 2016, 05:18 PM. Reason: Spelling and content

Comment

You're very welcome! 👍

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here