Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking some pork belly - reverse flow smoker issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking some pork belly - reverse flow smoker issues

Hi guys,

For the people who remember my last pork shoulder that I had smoked. It took way longer than is usual.
    Right now I am smoking part of a pork belly. I have read that it should take about 3 hours to reach 195F.

I am at the 3 hour mark right now and it is at 153F. So to me it is pretty obvious something is going on...must be my smoker. You would think that if the temp at the food shelf is right, then everything should be right. My pit definitely leaks some smoke at the cooking chamber....could that maybe be the issue? I really can not think of anything else. And even that reason would be weird since the temp in the pit is the temp in the pit...

Thanks in advance for the feedback

What is the temp of the smoker?

"3 hours to reach 195" is worthless for basically two reasons. 1. Not all pork bellies are going to be the same thickness nor off the same piggee 2. What temp are we cooking this thing at?

Comment

• CurlingDog
      CurlingDog commented
      Editing a comment
      agreed. think brisket, not ribs in terms of time/temp when doing a pork belly.

Thanks for the replies.

My concern is not based off of just this smoke. I understand not every single piece of meat is the same and I understand thickness is more important than anything if we talk about smoke times.

All my smoke session take much longer than others using the same pit Temps (that's a sample size of at least 50).

This belly I have been smoking between 225 and 250F

Comment

CurlingDog I have been smoking ribs using its IT. And have had pretty good Succes. All you need is a thermapen or something similar.

Comment

You'd be better off running 325 on pork belly. Lotta fat to render down.

Comment

Only if I could get my smoker up that high I bought this reverse flow smoker used. I am building a 300 gallon smoker atm l. Now that I have been doing a lot of research on them I did find some flaws with my current smoker. Anyway, I still don't get why everything takes longer using the same Temps.

Oh and I am going to have this belly rest in the fridge overnight to firm up. Then slice it and caramalize it on a griddle for sandwiches or tacos. So I doubt using a higher temp is a must in what I am going to use it for.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Good deal. You may only need a 160 internal for that.

I have tried 165 and hated it. I've done a couple braising them until 195F and everyone loved them. Just gotta leave them in the fridge for awhile to firm up before you can slice it. 175-185F might do I have never tried anything in between. If I ever do, I'll update this thread and let you guys know

Comment

Have you tried placing pit probes in different areas, assuming you have multiple probes, to see how consistent the temp is over the cooking grate? I'm wondering if you have some cold spots. Also is it possible that your pit probe is failing? I may be way off, but just some ideas hoping to be helpful. And by the way, pork belly sounds delicious!
            Last edited by fuzzydaddy; May 12, 2016, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Great reply and something I have not done for some reason. I do place the probe as close to the meat as possible but I'm still going to try this next time. Thanks for the idea!

Comment

I have given my smoker some thought again and I have tried smoking on the bottom and top shelf. Left and right and my smoke sessions always take longer than others. So I doubt cold spots could be it. Will still do a test soon to confirm.

Anyway, I pulled my pork belly at 183F. Then this morning I sliced it and caramelized it in a cast iron skillet. It was awesome. Has so much more character than braising it. And I am not sure if it's the IT difference but it's not as soft as my braised pork belly which is a good thing too (still soft and tender enough).

Comment

What are you using to monitor the pit temp?

Comment

Maverick 732.

Comment

I just tested all 4 thermometeras. All 4 are accurate. This makes no sense. I am really confused. Do the heat and the smoke contribute to the doneness of the meat or just the heat? Some smoke is escaping at the cook chamber door but again, the temp in the pit right next to the meat is right...

Comment

Some pics of my pork belly smoke. It was really good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here