Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Night ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Night ribs

Tonight I have one night off in the middle of several nights at work. I'll be staying awake all night at home, and of course my grill & SnS both miss me. And since StL ribs are still on sale ($2.98/lb) at my local store I picked up a rather large 4lb slab. I have half a 5th of Maker's Mark and a few Pabsts so I will be pretending it's Fri night. This time I will opt for the low end of low & slow since I have plenty of time. 200-220 I think is what I'll aim for. Should get a killer smoke ring.

Night pics probably wont be anything of value, but if I get any I'll post 'em....

PBR and a hot grill....ahhhh the memories!

Comment

Its going to be perfect!

Mount Pleasant Municipal Airport (KMOP)

Tonight: A 20 percent chance of showers before 2am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 47. West wind 8 to 11 mph.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
        Jon Solberg commented
        Editing a comment
        : )

• boftx
        boftx commented
        Editing a comment
        What does rain have to do it?

• Jon Solberg
        Jon Solberg commented
        Editing a comment
        Nothing its just the weather forecast.

Now if only you had some hickory wood 😉

Comment

Brisket and whiskey - does life get any better

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          All depends on what brand of whiskey 😜

• boftx
          boftx commented
          Editing a comment
          It good BBQ. good Scotch, good cigars, good friends, and a good dog. THAT is a good life.

So does that mean tonight, you'll be out on May 13 at 3 am cooking ribs? I'll message you if I get up to pee. Also, you realize that your cook is rolling right into Friday the 13th, right?

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Yessir, I am ribbing the night away as we speak. Send me a Pee-M. Lol. I hope to dine around 8am give or take, as my kids head off to school and my wife is enjoying her coffee.

Those are my dream cooks. Well done Huskee, well done...

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you sir!

Oh man I remember those nights on 3rd... One off every 13 days -- no way I could change my routine for that.... Hope you have a peaceful night and a good cook...!!!

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks my friend!

Come on!! Let see some pictures. Your really gonna tell me, as a moderator on the greatest BBQ site in world, that you haven't taken any pictures of a gorgeous 4 lb slab of ribs? Am I the only one that finds this to be shocking? ​ ribeyeguy BBQ'd_Nuke

Comment

PBR, Makers Mark, and Ribs!!!!!! We could hang out anytime Huskee !

Comment

Ok here are some pics Spinaker

Right out of the pack, pre-trim

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG9836.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	243.5 KB
ID:	167025

Kind of thick, I'm thinking a meal for me will be only 2 or 3 bones.

Name:	IMAG9837.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	167026

After trimming and adding the rub for a 6hr dry brine

Name:	IMAG9839.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	167027

And here it is for its midnight spa treatment, with 3 fist-sized hickory chunks DWCowles
            This version of the pic looked way better than the one with the flash.

Name:	hc_1463111154249.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	167028

Last edited by Huskee; May 12, 2016, 11:58 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              How about now Jon Solberg

• Jon Solberg
              Jon Solberg commented
              Editing a comment
              Got em. Thx. Looking good.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks great man!!! How did it go? The signature brown sugar. One of the best tricks I've learned here n the pit!!

Here's 7hrs at ~208-215 avg. Kinda hard to tell from this pic but roughly 25% of the charcoal still left (of one chimney's worth) and a full wood chunk. Still a tiny bit of water left bubbling too.

Name:	IMAG9847.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	167049

Cranking my temp to ~240 so I can eat in an hour...hopefully. They look great but not passing the bend test, still quite firm yet.

Name:	ribs 5-13-16.PNG
Views:	137
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	167050

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Wonderful color! Looking gooooood! Easy access to the coals is one of the best parts of the SNS.

I haven' t done an all nighter since studying for exams in college, and that was a very, very long time ago. So, will it be breakfast, lunch or supper when you finish this cook.

Comment

Originally posted by LA Pork Butt View Post
              I haven' t done an all nighter since studying for exams in college, and that was a very, very long time ago. So, will it be breakfast, lunch or supper when you finish this cook.
              Supper. I'm still waiting on them to get done so I can eat and go to bed and get fat.

Comment

Done. Total cook time about 8:45. Bend test never really worked properly, they were so thick. The last hour I ended up raising the temp to about 260 actually.

Name:	IMAG9854.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	317.6 KB
ID:	167103

Juicy buggers!

Name:	ribs3 5-13-16.PNG
Views:	124
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	167104

And now it's time for a Pabst and then bed.
                Thanks for watching.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here