Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Picnic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Picnic

So this is a smaller picnic that I smoked/cooked on the KJ classic a week or so ago. I didn't bother dry-brining this cut. I cut the fat cap off, rubbed it with yellow mustard for glue, gave it a good dose of Meat Church Honey Hot Hot and Honey Hog, and threw it on the KJ at 225. I had the heat deflectors in place for indirect with a drip pan slightly above the deflectors. No water in the drip pan (doesn't seem to be required in the kamado). I threw a couple chunks of hickory on the coals. I cooked it until 203 internal, brought it inside, wrapped in in foil and towels and into the cooler for a couple hours then pulled for dinner. The bark was great (very chewy and tasty) and the meat inside was tender. Turned out really well.

I did run out of fuel at one point during the cook, which lasted about 17 hours (I didn't crutch and the stall took awhile - coupled with the temp loss when I had to add fuel). I believe I did not use enough charcoal and I lit the lump at the bottom of the pile, so maybe this affected how it burned. I also used the kickash basket and the increased airflow vs the stock firebowl may have accelerated coal consumption.

In any case, here are some pics; the picnic is on the left side of the KJ - there is a beef blade on the right.

Now I'm craving some pulled pork! Yours looks tasty. I just checked out Meat Church Honey Hog Hot on meatchurch.com (I've only used Meathead's Memphis Dust).

Comment

fuzzydaddy I have yet to try out Meatheads rub recipes, but will get around to it soon! I have tried a bunch of the Meat Church rubs and they are all great so far. I have also tried some of the Dizzy Pig rubs which I also really like. Worth a try if you want something different!

Comment

kingdarb The Big Bad Brisket Rub is great, and I think you will like his Memphis Dust. Mixing your own is a lot less expensive than buying brands off the shelf. The Picnic looks great, if you haven't done so already try a Boston Butt.

Comment

Nice cook kingdarb . You make me hungry!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here