Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fat cap on Picnic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fat cap on Picnic

I am still here . Been busy curing cancer with The wife. Shes doing great and we are almost through the ordeal. Changes what you are doing in life for a while but its all good.

Any way, I have a 12# picnic and an 11# Boston butt to do this weekend. My question is about when I cut the fat cap off of the picnic. If I salted it and smoked it with the rest of the shoulder, would it be considered salt pork? Like what you would use in baked beans or making a New England clam chowder? I know there is usually a little a little meat in a salt pork but I am wondering if it may serve the same purpose instead of throwing it out. I am not crazy about pork rinds so Looking for another use for the fat cap.

Thanks Rick

Hmmmm Not sure on the picnic...but God Bless you and your wife!!!

Comment

Happy to hear that everything is doing good gardenfish

Comment

I feel the pain@ gardenfish. My wife was diagnosed in September with metastatic breast cancer, been a long road with surgery, chemo now 30 aggressive radiation treatments prove to me she has what it takes to beat this beast! As the late Michael Jackson once said, BEAT IT JUST BEAT IT!
        PS, I am still going to order my Anova sous vide circulater, the DR told us to carry on a regular lifestyle

Comment

gardenfish & GBA, Our Best to your Wives! Fish, I think if you look in the Recipie Section of AR you will find that Salt Pork is typically made from Pork Belly! That being said you might be able to use the Fat Cap like you describe? Let us know your opinion if you Do!
          Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Thanks everyone. I will look into that recipe Dan and I will try the cap also and see if it works.

Rick

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here