Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hog Wings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog Wings?

I pondered where to create this thread because I don't want the moderators yelling at me for posting it in the wrong place.

Anyway, I just learned Hog Wings/Pig Wings are a thing...from my mother-in-law, who happened to have them at church conference. She was raving about them and wanted to know if I can cook them. And so, here we all are...

I would welcome the expertise of the rogues gallery here, as I have some questions:
    1. Are pork shanks normally available at the grocery store?
    2. If I'm able to get them, should I ask the butcher to trim/prep them any special way?
    3. Any good recipes for them? (BTW, I've already searched the Forums & on the AmazingRibs site, with no success)
    Thank you all in advance for your help!

Pork shanks tend to be hard to find. Maybe a local butcher shop can get them or cut them for you. They are a delicious sweet kind of meat. I did score a few one time and made Osso Buco with them. This recipe was very good.

Comment

Just googled "where to buy pig wings" and got a ton of results for both sources and recipes. Where to find them locally depends on what's near you (like Sam's Club, local butchers, grocers, etc.). They seem to be pretty common online, too.

Comment

I was just looking at pork shanks at Porter Road. Interestingly, they have both pork shanks and pork wings. I’ve always thought shanks were wings, but it looks like PR has both. When I googled “pork wings vs pork shanks” the best answer I got was that a wing is a trimmed shank.

I just sent an email to PR and let’s see what they say, we couldn’t be the first people to be confused by this.

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          “The Pork Shank comes from the front forearm of the pig and will be a bit tougher which requires a low and slow cooking method to allow the connective tissue and marrow to break down. The Pork Wings come from the rear legs and will be more lean and tender, with a similar texture to pork ribs.”

So there you have it.

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          Learned something new!

• DaveD
          DaveD commented
          Editing a comment
          When pigs fly! Oh, wait...

Most of my pork shanks can be found in the back pasture of the farm, or down in the bottom under the oak trees on either side of the creek.

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          We had a local restaurant that used to offer Hog Wings, they were excellent. They were braised, not smoked, and served with a tomato and onion sauce, not quite Southwestern, but not really European either.

• tstalafuse
          tstalafuse commented
          Editing a comment
          I think you have the beginnings of a new franchise, Wild Hog Wings...

I think a pork wing is from the lower portion of the leg while the shank is up closer to the shoulder. Could be wrong, but if you look at the bone structure is is clearly different

Comment

I made some I got from PR. I think I ended up braising them for a long time. They were good, but just tasted like spares. So for me it's not worth the effort and cost. I'll just do a rack instead.

Comment

I didn’t realize that pigs could fly

Comment

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              How long until the have boneless pig wings?

Creating a boneless pig wing...definitely a 1st-world problem if I've ever seen one.
            Well, lemme get to work on it. This is America, after all...

Comment

A little tavern down the road that I seem to spend way too much time at just began offering pig wings as an appetizer. Incredibly good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here