Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Attempt at Using the Das Boot Method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Attempt at Using the Das Boot Method

OK, that's a pretty trite play on words in the Topic, but there you go.

Last week I went to the local Wild Fork store that's a candy store for sure. Among other things, I got a rack of Baby Back ribs that nominally were for my wife (she does not like smoked foods, but likes BBs, especially those from P.F. Chang's). For me, I got a rack of St. Louis spares, intending to do them using the boat method Donw posted, and HotSun also recently used.

For the BB's I decided to use a char sui recipe from Seriouseats.com. A lot of prep, and what I consider a near total fail. I would not recommend their recipe for char sui - rather tasteless and unappealing. Here is a pic of these that are marinated overnight and then oven roasted. Ugh.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20230830_150225.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	1475791

Now, for the spares. These turned out pretty good. For the prep, I rubbed with Big Poppa's Money Rub and then Honey BBQ. Got the MAK running at 250* - well, the setpoint was 240*, but I used the upper rack which typically runs 10*-20* hotter than the main grate level. As measured by my Fireboard on the upper rack, it held 250* very well, until I bumped the temp at the end.

Here is the prep:

Name:	20230830_093707.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	1475792

My plan was to cook these for 5 hours - some videos show 4 hours, some 6, so I did the Solomon thing and picked 5. Well, it should have been 6, I'll explain further on here. Placed the ribs on the upper rack naked, and cooked them that way for 2.5 hours. Then made a foil boat with some butter and brown sugar, placing the ribs bone side down on that and curling up the sides.

Name:	20230830_122551.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	1475793

Now the plan was to start basting with sauce at 4 hours for an hour to get to the 5 hour total cook time. However, temping the ribs with my TW One probe, they were sitting at 160* IT at 4 hours. I bumped the MAK to 270* and started basting. Pulled at 5 hours and the IT was between 180*-190*.

The ribs turned out to be very, very good from a flavor, texture, and moisture standpoint. A nice compromise between fall-off-the-bone and firm tug to the bit. The bark was Meh, and the glaze was OK - but the flavor was just fine!

Name:	20230830_150238.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	1475794 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230830_150501.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	1475795

Sorry for the crappy pics, I'm just not in some youse folks league for photos. I definitely plan to use this method again, adjusting for lessons learned. I highly recommend trying Das Boot!!

Name:	image.png
Views:	159
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	1475801...​

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      One of the best, if not the best, war movies ever made.

GolfGeezer , you weren't sunk and made it to port okay.

Ribs look great to me, fine job and thanks for sharing!

Comment

Next time try these: https://blasphemyribs.com/2020/02/17/char-siu-ribs/

Comment

• GolfGeezer
        GolfGeezer commented
        Editing a comment
        mgaretz Actually I have done your char sui blasphemy ribs and really like them, as well as the regular ones. They are very good. I did these in the oven as my wife does not like anything smoked, thus the attempt at a different recipe.

• mgaretz
        mgaretz commented
        Editing a comment
        Just do mine in the oven, especially the char siu version.

I'm a total devotee of Das Boot method, I use it on darn near everthang anymore. Those BBs don't look bad at all though... but I guess the proof is in the eating. Do you think they'd have turned out better if you didn't cut them into singletons?

Comment

• GolfGeezer
        GolfGeezer commented
        Editing a comment
        DaveD No, the recipe was not that great, plus they came out a bit dry. The Chinese five spice in the recipe was very anise forward and the hoisin sauce I used was not that good either. I did end up using some of the leftover meat in a ramen dish for lunch today. They worked well in that.

• DaveD
        DaveD commented
        Editing a comment
        I hear you, any time one particular seasoning flavor dominates, even if it's one I like, I get put off. And anise is not one of those! Glad you got something useful out of it though.

Thanks for sharing especially your fail. It’s always good to be reminded that we all trip up. Even better I’m intrigued by the the Das Boot method and will have to try. Love seeing successes even more

Comment

I’ll have research the method. Your spars came looking delicious, moist and great color.

Comment

• GolfGeezer
          GolfGeezer commented
          Editing a comment
          TripleB I think you'll like it. It is a nice compromise between going naked the whole way and using a Texas Crutch. The next time I do this with St. Louis ribs, I'll run for an hour on Smoke setting, then raise the temp to 270*-275* for 2 more hours. Then into the boat for 2-2.5 more hours, glazing for last hour at that temp.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here