Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have this Pork Loin..... what next?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have this Pork Loin..... what next?!

Okay everyone. Sending out feelers for help.

I have this Pork Loin and I will be completely honest: I have no idea what one does with it. Remember, I'm fresh out on my own! I obtained this hunk o' pig with the advice that I could "make pulled pork in a crock pot" with it. However, just want to explore all the possibilities with what I can do with it! I presume I could simply turn it into pulled pork or grilled chops, but asking the collective experience of The Pit for help.

Picture is attached. Official labeling on the packing is " All Natural Pork Loin Center Cut Half Boneless". Fat Cap on one side, nice and thick, and only can see meat on the other (this is the side that the attached picture shows). Again, received this as a gift/gimme, so no clue waht do do and no experience with what it truly, actually is, and what I can turn it into with some smoke and some luv!

Any and all tips and advice are appreciated!

Cheers!

I sous vide then seared one early this week. It got sliced and tossed into some rice noodles.

Comment

Whole Pork Loin is one of my favorite things to smoke! It is relatively simple, quicker than other cuts, and as long as you monitor the internal temp you will be good to go.

Typically I trim hard parts of the fat off and trim the fat back fairly thin then score the rest of the fat.
      I then put a rib rub on it and smoke it till internal temp hits 145-150. Hold it at that for three minutes (USDA standard).
      You should do this over indirect heat.
      Cook chamber temp is around 250 degrees. For a whole loin it usually takes around 3 - 3.5 hours.
      Slice and serve it as a stand alone entree or make a sandwich out of it.

Some other techniques I use on occasion:
      Inject with a little bit of apple juice and maybe mix in a little worcestershire sauce
      Thin slathering of horseradish mustard and then the rub on top of that
      The rub can be your favorite pulled pork or rib rub
      Make a bacon weave and wrap the entire thing in it or drape it over it.
      I sometime have to cut them in half to fit on my smoker but the process remains the same.
      If the heat is coming up from the bottom and the meat is relatively close to the heat source I will most always go fat side down as to give it a layer of protection. (I tend to go fat cap down on pork butts too though).

I don't recommend trying to make this into pulled pork...

Best of luck.

Comment

Pulled pork is more of a butt or shoulder thing, that pork loin should make some really good chops though!

Comment

I actually prefer to roast pork loins in my oven, slice, and serve steak style with sides. I use a rub I made that is equally sweet and spicy and coat the entire piece generously. Put a little apple juice in the pan and cook to 150 and let it rest. I wouldn't pull it. It's made for slicing thick. However you cook it, enjoy and post pics when you are done.

Comment

One fun thing to do with a whole loin is to cut it into 3-4 portions, apply your favorite rub all over, and smoke them. This does a couple of great things:

1. You get more exposed portion of the meat, which yeilds more Bark! And Bark is one of the best things about BBQ!

2. You can learn much quicker what types of rubs you enjoy on Pork Loin.

3. Did I mention eariler that this yeilds more bark?

I found that at 275-300 in the Jambo, smoked with Pear Wood. These did not take that long to get to 145-150, an hour or a little more?

I did this a little while back. I rubbed one piece with Memphis Dust, the 2nd with Simply Marvelous Cherry, and the 3rd with Kosher Salt, Large Grind Black Pepper, and a Garlic & Rosemary from Tones. Pulled them at 145! (FYI, there are Ribs with a couple different rubs in the background of the first pic.)
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6700.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	146972

They are super fun to cut!

Name:	IMG_6702.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	146974

And here are the 3 different ones all cut and plated, with some sauteed cabbage.

Name:	IMG_6708.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	146975

Lighting so changes things...here are those same pieces with a little change of the lighting. Cook and Enjoy!!!

Name:	IMG_6706.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	146973
            Last edited by PaulstheRibList; March 10, 2016, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Nate hit it right in the target...got to do another pork loin soon it's been awhile

Comment

• Nate
                Nate commented
                Editing a comment
                I would much rather smoke a couple of those and do some loaf pan chicken than try to flip burgers and dogs for 30-50 people. It is a heck of a lot easier and is something different that most people don't think about doing for small parties.

No pulled pork with a loin, won't work well.

I second many folks' recommendation to smoke it indirectly up to 145 (as measured with an accurate digital thermometer).
              My first favorite thing to do with loins is to cut them into loin chops, which are boneless thick pork chops (steaks, if you will) about 1" - 1.5" thick. "Quick" wet brine them in 1 gal water +1 cup table salt for 1 hour (or 1/2 gal + 1/2C salt for 1 hour). Add some garlic powder, herbs, and pepper.

I prefer to grill them hotter, say 325. But 225 will work just fine too.

Mmmm, good & juicy stuff.

Comment

• Skip
                Skip commented
                Editing a comment
                I totally agree with Huskee. This is a great piece of pork to keep on hand in the freezer. Goes on sale often. Fix your favorite way. Good as cold sandwiches too. I think it makes very good boneless chops.

I like butterflying them, stuffing them with a dried fruit, nut and preserves spread, rolling them, tying them with butcher string, and smoking them. Also, I like cutting them into 1" plus pork chops, brining them and reverse searing.

Comment

• Atalanta
                Atalanta commented
                Editing a comment
                That sounds amazing!

I'm with others on cooking whole, or chops, or stuffing, but not pulled pork. Here's a link for Smoked Stuffed Pork Loin Roast.

Bacon wrapped is good too!

Name:	IMG_3908.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	147031

Name:	IMG_3947.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	147032
              Last edited by fuzzydaddy; March 11, 2016, 07:19 AM.

Comment

I was gonna say wrap it in bacon and smoke it. I love making fatties this way. You can stuff it too. The ones above look awesome.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                  Danjohnston949 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Spin, You and the rest of the Boys & Girls said it all in MHOP so I won't say anything except: If it were beef
                  it would be a Boneless Ribeye Roast and I don't think I would make hamburger out of it!
                  Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

I'm trying to figure out how three comments got between me and Nate when my comment was right after his last night Huskee

Comment

• DWCowles
                  DWCowles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don't think so Huskee because 30 mins after I commented I was the only comment besides Nate and this morning I was move down the list. I can understand if it was one comment but three...hmmmmmm

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not sure. What are you suggesting?

• DWCowles
                  DWCowles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  forget it

Thanks everyone! Got some great ideas and great tips when it comes to cook time and temp. Much appreciated!! Will let you guys know what it turns out to be!

Happy Friday, the weekend is almost in sight!

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                  Danjohnston949 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  KiloVolt89, TGIF Back at You! Just Get Out and Burn Something!
                  Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here