Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cook for 150-200, pulled pork plus sides. Here we go!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cook for 150-200, pulled pork plus sides. Here we go!

I figured I would put this here because I will lose it if not. Also, somebody may spot a mistake in my thought process and hopefully help someone else out along the way.

150 people is the estimated attendance, I am aiming a little higher cause you never know. This is for a literacy program so it will be both parents and kids. With that I am assuming 50 kids, 50 women, and 50 men. I think the kids may be a higher percentage and so will the women, but that's ok because I think men will consume slightly larger portions.
    On the menu is Pulled Pork, slaw, baked beans, and mac and cheese. I won't have as much slaw because it isn't big here.
    • Pulled Pork-80 pounds trimmed which I will conservatively estimate at 45% loss. That gives me 44 pounds cooked or 704 ounces.
      • They have sliders I will call 3oz and buns I will call 4oz portions. Assuming kids have sliders that is 150oz, men and women have the big ones that is 400oz for a total of 550oz.
      • 150oz over would get me 37 4oz sandwiches or seconds.
      • I did an event last year of just meat and they had a lot of leftovers, they were making small sandwiches around 3oz so if they do the same I will have more than enough
    • Slaw-10 pounds, I expect most will just have a bit of it, they don't really get it on sandwiches here but it is easy to make and some veggie-heads can eat it.
    • Mac and Cheese-with this many kids, you gotta do mac. And I certainly am! Total amount when done is about 40 pounds.
      • 40 is 640oz which gives me 160 4oz servings. I think this will be enough with all the other stuff.
    • Baked beans-I don't do sides on this scale a lot so I am not going to risk cooking my own beans. I have a recipe using canned beans as a base.
      • These are pretty hardy beans, will be around 440oz when done which should be more than enough.
    That's it, everything was purchased today.

Maybe a little about money?

Total spent $227.40, this includes more than enough charcoal to do the job. Each main bullet will be a sum of the sub bullets I will also put cost per serving in parenthesis with the assumption that it will all be eaten evenly by just 150 people. Also buns are provided from a bakery so those are not in these numbers.

Total per plate, assuming everyone has equal portion of each: $1.38
    • Pulled pork-$113.54 ($0.76)
      • Raw Meat-$93.60
      • Rub-$4.46 (I have most ingredients already, estimate not much more than that for homemade blend)
      • Charcoal-$15.48 for 2x19.5 pound bags. Won't use all that but bought it.
    • Slaw- $14.82 ($0.10)
      • Slaw mix- $5.94 for 6 pounds. Sam's had premade mix for only $1.98 for a 2 pound bag, didn't seem worth the work to cut all my own.
      • Mayo-$6.88
      • The rest are ingredients I have, still not 100% on my recipe but additional components shouldn't be more than a couple bucks.
    • Beans- $30.53 ($0.20) This can be brought down quite a bit if you don't use the beef.
      • Bush's canned beans, 3x116oz can $17.94
      • Beef $6.59 not sure how well it goes over here, but down in Georgia my favorite beans had beef. Plan on smoking the beef for some smokey flavor.
      • Veggies $6.00 various onions and peppers, will add a little rub and sauce as well.
      • Not 100% on everything I will use, will tweak on taste but costs for additions shouldn't be substantial.
    • Mac N Cheese-$48.55 ($0.32)
      • Macaroni-$7.98
      • Milk-$4.66
      • Velveeta-$24.96
      • Butter-$4.98
      • Chedder-$5.98
    I priced all of this out on my local BBQ place's catering site, right at about $1,200 so saving almost a grand.

Well that means that you will only have 920 lbs of meat to go to reach the 1/2 ton of meat for this year. 😊

Comment

• _John_
      _John_ commented
      Editing a comment
      100 in already, 100 for the competition I mentioned, and should have 200 for the football team I cook for every year. So that gets me half way without trying.

Go man go, I meant go butts go!!!!!

Now I know what to say if someone mentions to me about opening a catering business.... "I DON'T DO SIDES!!!!"

Comment

If it's anything like around here, the men will eat 2x the women when it comes to good Q.

Nice of you to donate your time and effort (and $$) to a good cause!

Comment

Great job planning. Looks like you'll have enough for everybody to have as much as they want and have some leftovers too.

Comment

Too. Much.. Math....

Comment

• Yelnoc
            Yelnoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Create spread sheet live cells for all the variables - weight, yield, prices, etc., update as needed when prices and quantities change only have to do the heavy lifting once - change a variable everything old is new... easy-peasey

• JeffJ
            JeffJ commented
            Editing a comment
            I did a little catering a few years back. Like Yelnoc said, use a spreadsheet. Create a template and create a new tab for every cook.

• scottranda
            scottranda commented
            Editing a comment
            It'd be awesome if you could share your spreadsheet. For all of us. Put it as a new topic in the forum. You'd get quite some traction/hits.

What an ambitious worthwhile project. Great job John!

Comment

let's see...80lbs at 55% is 44lbs = 704 oz. that should cover your 550 oz estimate and then some

just in case men do eat 2x women...
            kids 50 @ 3 oz each = 150oz
            women 50 @ 4oz each = 200oz
            men 50 @ 8oz each = 400oz

total = 750oz ...however i think you will get a lot more women and children than the ideal 1/3 split so i bet you will be fine

i must be the only one who likes math...sorry! but you did ask for a double check!

Comment

• _John_
              _John_ commented
              Editing a comment
              And I appreciate it!

Yelnoc I will do precisely that after this run. I have to make a schedule for when to do everything, once I do that I will punch it all in.

Comment

Way to go, _John_ !!!

Your math is great, and very accurate. I cooked for 200 a couple of weeks ago, Brisket was the headliner, with Chicken for the extra go. There was a possibility for a last-minute surge in attendance, so I added Pulled-Pork. I anticipated leftovers, and the ministry group that was putting on the conference could put them to good use. 10 briskets, avg 12 pounds, 170 chicken thighs or legs, and 8 regular size Boston Butts. And, yes, we had lots of leftovers. We fed the cops and firemen who could come over that afternoon, and the next day a party in the park.

I have a spreadsheet that I've been tinkering with, and I'm happy to share. (FYI: COGS means Cost of Goods Sold.)

Have fun!
              paul

Comment

Awesome PaulstheRibList thanks for sharing.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here