Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Ribs I have made yet!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Ribs I have made yet!

As those of you who know me know, my BBQ life was born with ribs. I'm sitting just a few feet from my stove, where I was standing 3.5 years ago when I though, "Hey, I've never cooked ribs. I'll cook some today." I texted a young guy who I remembered talking about cooking ribs, and he texted me his "Secret" recipe. I tried that. Then in my looking to cook on the next cook or the one after that, found AmazingRibs.com.

And I've been cooking with the Recipe from Meathead ever since. I've cooked with about the same recipe ever since, and the up or down quality of my food was a function of my cooking technique, not from recipe changes. I basically cook Last Meal Ribs but with no glaze at the end. I compensate for that by putting on a Quite Generous quantity of Memphis Dust. I put my ribs on the smoker Fridge Cold.

Until this weekend's cook, my favorite rib flavor has been on the WSM with charcoal and several Apple chunks. I LOVE my stickburners, and wanted more of that milder flavor from the Fruitwoods, and since I live on the Gulf Coast, have been looking for a supply of fruitwood to use on the Stickburners. To speed things along, I bought a pallet of Pear from the restaurant supply wholesaler. And Voila!

Also, as I have complaied before, Albertsons quite carrying Hormel Ribs, which were my fav brand for quality and the butchering that I like. I think I've found that the Smith ribs, carried at a regional grocer, are maybe even better! The interior rib meat flap is already cut off, and many of the racks are squared off on the far end. AND, they put them on sale this weekend, for $1.99. Limit 2...darn.

So, my photographer and website person bought a new flash thing, and wanted to take some foodie picks of BBQ this weekend for my upcoming website, so the vortex of BBQ happiness is dialing in some #theRibList action!

Here are the Raw subjects. Look nice! Only trimmed a bit of the excess fat on the right end rib. Super nice fat in those center ribs!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7228.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	140526

I'm starting to use more foil pans...because I'm tired of washing pans!!! Jambo is up to temp. It only takes a couple minutes.

Name:	IMG_7231.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	140528
    And here are the first 2 racks, on the Jambo with that Generous Memphis Dust coating I mentioned earlier.

Name:	IMG_7233.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	140523

Um, Did I mention yet that I cook #WhoDatRibs on the occasion of EVERY New Orleans Saints game? On SuperBowl Sunday, it was the 6th Anniversary of the Saints Super Bowl Victory!!!

Name:	IMG_7234 (2).jpg
Views:	149
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	140530

I LOVE having #WhoDat1 in the background for all my pics! And, the gorgeous Hickory stored underneath the Jambo, it burns so great! And, there are ribs involved. It looks like I'm holding the damper bar in my mouth! Oh, and those Lincoln Electric welding gloves are Great! You can hold a smoldering log briefly to move it and the gloves are still movable.

Name:	IMG_7229 (3).jpg
Views:	83
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	140531

It was Sunday Afternoon, and I didn't have to leave, so the Fire Management was pretty good the whole cook. Here is a pic about 4 hours in.

Name:	IMG_7235.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	140524

About 5.5 hours, they were looking just about Perfect! So I pulled them, headed over the the photographer's house. She had a little rustic setup going.

Name:	IMG_7237.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	140521

This rack just looked Perfect! Dark, not a bit burnt, tenderness was perfect. Pink Ring was gorgeous! And my knives always look sexy in the pictures!

Name:	IMG_7240.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	140527

Did I mention that I could not wait to bite into these!!

Name:	IMG_7245 (3).jpg
Views:	106
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	140529

Well, they tasted great! The smoke flavor was rich but not overpowering. The #theRibList friends who ate them loved the appearance and flavor as well, best yet I heard.

So, Congrats to all you Pitmaster Peeps who keep practicing and improving! It's paying off for me! 600 racks and counting!

Your friendly neighborhood @BishopofBBQ
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PaulstheRibList; February 9, 2016, 11:57 PM.

Love me some St. Louis. I might try some this weekend along with pulled chuck.

I thought that was a toothbrush in your mouth, twas thinking you really get them grates clean...hahahaha

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
      PaulstheRibList commented
      Editing a comment
      If I brushed my teeth with that stainless wire brush...

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      No plaque, no tartar, no enamel, Paul, man you got with it b/n visits.

Dem some goooooooood looking ribs man.

Many those look beyond good!

Comment

Nice cook PaulstheRibList they look fantastic

Comment

PaulstheRibList, Those Ribs Look Fit To Eat Paul! 👍👍👍👍👍. Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Love the pics with Jambo in them!

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
            Editing a comment
            I LOVE Cooking on it! Need to do a post on what I've learned so far.

• scottranda
            scottranda commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes!

Look great as always, been too busy lately to do much but hopefully I can do some this weekend. Got my Chiefs tickets already and I see the Saints are coming up my way, poor guys.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
            Editing a comment
            Dude! I haven't looked at the schedule yet. I'm sure it will be a well fought game and a proper Saints Victory!

Ok, now I've got to do ribs this weekend! Hope they turn out half as good.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            I know right....what a bum.

Nice!! As usual

Comment

Wow! Just WOW! I love the no wrap method. Ate leftover ribs last night and I'm thinking those ribs were the best I've done. Going to practice more...

Comment

Fantastic ribs. Well done (as always)!

Comment

PaulstheRibList don't let that "Limit 2' sign stop ya! My HEB had the same sign the other day, and I still threw six racks in the cart. I did a rub tasting menu, with with three different rubs (two racks for each rub). It was a lot of fun.

Comment

• gcdmd
                  gcdmd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Did you check your bill? My HEB has a limit on brisket at reduced price. If you go over the limit at checkout the computer just charges you the full per pound price.

Wow! Those look about as good as I've ever seen! Nice job.

Comment

Originally posted by Koy Schoppe View Post
                  PaulstheRibList don't let that "Limit 2' sign stop ya! My HEB had the same sign the other day, and I still threw six racks in the cart.
                  If they give me any grief at the checkout counter I just smile and ask for the manager. If the manager denies my request I just tell them I can play this game all day, I don't care. BUT, every time you run my debit card you are incurring more charges which will come out of your bottom line for the day. They will usually let me through and if they don't, I keep going back for single slabs until I get up to the number I am looking for.

Comment

Those are some gorgeous-looking ribs. I could go for some right this minute!

Congrats on a great cook, PaulstheRibList

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here