Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temp and Time for whole ham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temp and Time for whole ham

I purchased a bone-in ham that has already been cured and smoked. It weighs about 18 lbs. Should I reheat it @ 325 deg? Approximately how long will that take?

Hi Jeff and welcome to The Pit! I’ve done butt hams that were already smoked in my Bronco and on my kettle. I’ve found that they take 2-3 hours to get fully smoked and heated through. Even though they were already smoked, usually it’s pretty mild, so I’ll add 2-3 chunks of hickory and smoke em again. Sprinkle it with Tony Chachere’s really good before hand and they are delicious! Good luck with this and however you do it, keep us posted afterwards….with pics too!

Comment

Yup on the pics! What are ya “reheating” it in.
      Welcome, eat good & have fun!
      Also,go tomTechniques, recipes……. Page & hit Pork dicussion. You’ll get Muchos info there.

Comment

Reheating in Big Green Egg. It smells pretty smoky already. I bought it from Grayson's in Clarence, LA.

Comment

Just do it to 145°. Some people will say 165°, but they are wrong.

Comment

• djl
            djl commented
            Editing a comment
            USDA says 145°
            AmazingRibs has fresh hams at 145°
            So you definitely don’t want to take a pre-cooked one much higher.
            Last edited by djl; April 8, 2023, 01:51 PM. Reason: Correct typo

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome from Virginia!. As others have said, this ham is already cooked, so you are wanting it warmed through.. I take mine to 145 as well.

Comment

Yes. I'm following this so putting a glaze on at 130 and finishing at 145.

Create the best ham you've ever tasted with this ultimate double smoked ham recipe. Ordinary store bought whole or spiral ham is taken over the top by slowly smoking it on the grill. The true star of the show, however, is the sweet and savory glaze!

He says to do it at 225 but I'm worried that will take a long time with how big my ham is. I don't think there will be a stall, but when I do pork butts it takes about 16 hours for an 8-9 pounder.

In this one he says 325.

Create a smoked ham at home that will put any store-bought ham to shame thanks to this simple, yet flavor packed recipe. The key to creating a ham like the ones you normally purchase during the holidays is the curing process. Without curing a fresh ham, you won't achieve the same flavor or deep red color of the traditional type.

Comment

I find that cooking at 325 dries out a procured and smoked ham. I have found 275 to be better. But a16 pounder will take a while. Maybe 5 hours? Good luck. 🤞

Comment

Welcome to the pit from Winston Salem NC

Comment

Hello from NW Oregon

Comment

Welcome from the Land of Enchantment!

How did that ham turn out?

Comment

Putting it on right now. The picture is how it looks before reheating. I'm going to do 275 deg. Will let you guys know how long it takes and how it turns out. Thanks for all of the advice.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Picture 2
                          Attached Files

Comment

It took closer to 6 hours at 275, but everyone agreed it was the best ham that they ever had. Thanks again to everyone for the help.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here