Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rub for Pork Steaks (7/8 inch slices of Boston Butts)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rub for Pork Steaks (7/8 inch slices of Boston Butts)

My friend is sort of taking the lead on the cooking at the Knights of Columbus hall nearby. He's had my BBQ, so he asked me to help them move from rubber chicken to something better.

You guys will NOT BELIEVE the gas smoker...it can fit 800 chicken halves (another post on that with pics hopefully later tonight).

I'm not a huge fan of "Pork Steaks", but they are quite popular around these parts. It's like a easy man's BBQ.

They bought 300 pork steaks "pre-seasoned" from a local meat market. We cooked some this morning on test runs on the smoker, using Simply Marvelous Cherry, Big Poppa Sweet Money, S&P, and the stuff from the butcher.

I FORGOT to bring Memphis Dust, because I was concentrating on the Chicken practice (also doing 300 chicken halves in the morning).

So, any Rub/Seasoning recommendations on these little cuts of boston butt? I'm thinking Memphis Dust all the way.

Maybe I'll go buy a few and try some on the yard now.

Crazy as it sounds I'm s big fan of salt pepper paprika ann fire onpork steaks. That it I love them

And yes Bishop we need pics!

Comment

I'd try MH's BBBR, Memphis Dust, or Steve Raichlen's "Lone Star Steak Rub". Methinks you might want to consider how much Brown Sugar is in each mix as far as carmelization factor. I've had good success with BBBR on ribs. Don't think you can go wrong with any of these choices.

Folks love the Lone Star on anything and everything!

Good Luck!

-- Ed

Comment

Pork Steaks love sauce and sweet rubs. Since you are cooking so many I recommend something like Jacks Stack or anything available in large quantities at Sams or Costco.

Comment

I went with my tried-and-true, Memphis Dust! They liked them way better than the pre-seasoning from the butcher shop alone.

Comment

Jon Solberg and PaulstheRibList How does one do pork steaks like that in a smoker? What's the "it's ready, let's eat" temp?

Kathryn

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, Jon Solberg . Are the steaks tender when taken to 160?

Kathryn

• Jon Solberg
              Jon Solberg commented
              Editing a comment
              Are they fork tender? Not a chance. Are they tough? Cook them fast they are. No matter what your going to need the steak knifes at the table. With all the interconnected muscle groups it has you need to extricate the tasty goodness from the connective tissue. fzxdoc
              Last edited by Jon Solberg; February 11, 2016, 06:59 AM.

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, Jon! Jon Solberg

K.

Don't forget to take pics...we here at the Pit loves pics

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here