Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Head-to-Head Pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head-to-Head Pork

Well since I've been looking for input on where to get meat, I have another meat related question:

Has anyone here done a side-by-side comparison between your standard store bought pork butt and a 'premium' duroc pork butt? I'm thinking of getting one for a competition but didn't know if there was that much of a difference to justify the cost.

3 contests I've cooked a Compart Duroc shoulder side by side same injection and seasonings with commodity pork butt (IBP, Smithfield, etc.). All 3 times I turned in "standard" pork. Not that duroc isn't good, it is. It's just way different in taste and tenderness. I haven't cooked enough duroc to do it well. Get beat by it a lot! My regular pork seems to do really well with judges.

Comment

I did buy some pork collar when Snake River Farms had it on sale. Going to play with seasonings etc. in my spare time at home.

Comment

Pork collar is NOT legal for KCBS! Whole shoulder is.

Pork team of the year last year said he used Hormel Always Tender! That's the "enhanced" stuff.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here