Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stubborn Pork Butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stubborn Pork Butt

Fired up my Weber Smokey Mountain this morning and once it was up to temp I threw the pork butt on. 13 hours later it was done! Wow! It stalled at 176 degrees for so long I began to doubt my thermometer. Finally finished ! Tomorrow we eat!

I was around for the second stall on my pastrami. Pretty weird to see a temp not move for that long. Probably the first stall I witnessed in over a 1.5 years.

Comment

I think we've all wondered the same thing with long stalls. I remember Meathead even saying the same...that when the stall happens, even though we know it will happen, we still get a little antsy when it lasts so long and start wondering if our thermometer's stuck or if it's actually stalled that long!

Comment

Forgive me, but why do they stall?

Comment

Originally posted by Mickeylou5 View Post
          Interior moisture coming to the surface and evaporating. Basically the meat is sweating, keeping its IT steady Mickeylou5

Comment

Originally posted by Mickeylou5 View Post
            No need for forgiveness for asking a question in the Pit. Great place to learn!

Comment

• Mickeylou5
              Mickeylou5 commented
              Editing a comment
              Kind of like we do when we exercise😀 Thanks much. Had I known this a few years ago I might still have my BGE.

Really tempting to crank that fire up a bit to power through that stall. But it never works out well for me at least.

Comment

Is there more than one stall point? I did my first butts a couple weeks ago after much research here. I did two 4-5 lb butts. One worked perfectly and as expected. Stalled at 150, powered through and finished at 203. Delicious. But the other would not move past 185. I'm talking 3 hours after his twin had been pulled and devoured. I ended up taking it out at about 185 and doing the best i could with it the next day. Any idea why this happened or how to avoid it?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, some will stall again in the 180's going low and slow. By that time the bark should be developed enough to wrap and speed things up.

My pastrami stalled twice. And that dude was sous vide for 40 hours before it ever got smoked.

Also, as you increase cooking temp you will increase the first and probably only stall temp until you get high enough where the stall won't occur at all. Generally, things vary...

Being a noob to smoking my mistake this time I believe was not wrapping.It finally finished after 13 hours and turned out ok. This was my second attempt at smoking a pork butt and while I didn't wrap this time I did the first time around and it finished faster and I believe retained more moisture in the meat. For me for now on I'm pulling it at the stall and wrapping it in foil. Had my fun with pork now to try a beef brisket or two. One way to fight mother nature and winter in New England!

Comment

oldthor, Don't Give Up! Winter Will Soon Be A Memory! Your Prk Butts you can recreate Forever! Eat Well and Prosper!
                From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here