Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whole hog in a Yoder wichita

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whole hog in a Yoder wichita

Wife would like a pig roast this summer. I would like to use the Yoder wichita I have rather than build a pit. Guesses or thoughts on what size pig would feasibly work? The cooking chamber is 20 x 40, but the door is only 36" wide. Anyone with experience doing whole hog in an offset?

After "First, kill the hog," I have absolutely no idea. But questions and discussions like yours are but one reason I enjoy Amazing Ribs!

Comment

I did a suckling pig last summer, on a Titan outdoors rotisserie, over
      a Breeo firepit. Have no experience with your rig, but nonetheless, here goes.

First, find your pig supplier. We have a meat supplier in Yakima, and they helped with sizing, etc. You definitely want a suckling pig, which are sized by weight. I believe mine was 34 pounds, within the weight range I specified. It came frozen, in plastic and a cardboard box. Gutted, head on, skin on, tail on, scalded (no bristles).

I was concerned about thawing. did not really want to use bathtub. Fortunately Betsy fit into my huge cooler. 125 quarts?
      I was timid on heat, had rotisserie too high, or not enough fire, but parts were great, and a second run next day was improved.

You also need a big long table, for processing before and after. Disposable plastic table cloths, stapled down.

Concerning the supplier, they may not be used to this. I did not get my order first week, had to reorder. OK, in my situation as did not have a huge party organized.

In conclusion, it is a spectacle, fun with a crowd. Meathead has some great bbq sauces, mustard, vinegar, ketchup.

Comment

Just read up on your rig. If you can do a brisket, you can do a pig.

Comment

La Caja de China!

I know you don’t want another cooker, but it’s pretty cool!

Comment

• Belfagor
            Belfagor commented
            Editing a comment
            I've cooked in those before -- the guy who ran the locker plant in my hometown actually gifted us his when we were the only ones to use it over a span of five years. If I still had that...

• Murdy
            Murdy commented
            Editing a comment
            got dammit

that thing looks pretty neat

• barelfly
            barelfly commented
            Editing a comment
            Murdy - MCS for La Caja de china!!!

I am helping a friend cook a whole pig (75 pounds) on a Big John charcoal grill. We have some drip trays for the center beneath the pig and will load lit charcoal on the two sides for indirect. The elevation on the spit is adjustable. Just wondering how high we should plan for the meat to be from the charcoal? 20-24”? I will

Comment

I know I am late to the party but.... I would say you could do up to a 40lb pig fairly safely. I did a 41 pounder in a Yoder YS640 with no problems 2 years ago. 8 hours at 250 if I remember correctly. I turned it part way thru the cooking process. Had probes in both shoulders and was checking the ham with an instant read every once in a while. Came out AMAZING, good luck!!
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20181014_054654.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	1429171 Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20181014_060801.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	1429172 Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20181014_135107.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	1429173

Comment

• barelfly
              barelfly commented
              Editing a comment
              This! Heck yes!!!!!!!!

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              Racing position, I splayed mine out

• Belfagor
              Belfagor commented
              Editing a comment
              That looks amazing

This is awesome!

Comment

How manky are you feeding? This should be awesome to watch. Please keep[ us posted!

Delilah (My smoker) is up for the challenge but I do not have that many folks interested in a "Pig-Pickin"

Comment

• Clawbear57
                Clawbear57 commented
                Editing a comment
                Lets have a meat-up.yeah.

• Bad Hat BBQ
                Bad Hat BBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                That would be cool, I had to miss the recent NC meat-up because I was finalizing stuff at work for my retirement (24 May)....funny I have not thought about work stuff for 6 or seven days now!!

Belfagor If the pig will fit, YES! (albeit I'm also quite late to the party)

I have the Yoder Loaded Wichita but I've never tried a whole hog. I have loaded her up with butts plenty o' times though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	yoder full of pork butts.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	291.6 KB
ID:	1429209

Comment

• Belfagor
                Belfagor commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm not sure you have enough probes -- do you really know what's going on on the stack side top shelf?

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Belfagor I rotated probes around here and there.

I measure the pit, the select the piglet I want from the sounder, then send it. Did one not to long ago in my smoke vault.

Comment

Looks great.
                The best pork I ever had was at a cochon de lait. I don't remember who hosted it, but they had a pig strapped to what looked like a fence, and it was cooked slow over night. Not sure how many hours it took, but when it was done, you could pull the meat off with your fingers. Haven't had anything like it since.
                Last edited by Carolyn; May 31, 2023, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here