Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tony Chacheres As Pork Butt Rub?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tony Chacheres As Pork Butt Rub?

I’m smoking two pork butts tomorrow and was thinking of trying something different. Naturally one will be rubbed with Meathead’s Memphis Dust, but I’m thinking of rubbing the second with Tony Chacheres Creole Seasoning as done by one of the pitmasters in "The South’s Best Butts". I would dry brine as usual and use the "no salt" Chacheres seasoning.

Has anyone tried this?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	62FB1D96-CE9A-454E-AD05-BFE7A9BE2B4D.png
Views:	353
Size:	451.8 KB
ID:	1306689

Not on pork but done it on chicken and it's very good.
    Last edited by rickgregory; October 10, 2022, 06:12 PM.

Comment

I haven't done Tony's alone, but I do use Tony's in my Memphis Dust Plus rub - it's good stuff.

Comment

I’m thinking you should try it and report back with the results. I like it.

Comment

Never thought of that. I actually got up and had a taste, it would probably work well.

Comment

Pretty sure you could sprinkle Tony's on an old tire and it would taste great.
            It is peppery so I use it in my dry rubs with excellent results.

Comment

• rickgregory
              rickgregory commented
              Editing a comment
              Honestly, if someone said to me that I could have on rub-like seasoning to use for the rest of my life, it would probably be Tony's.

In case you aren't aware, the no-salt Tony's is totally different than the regular. But I think it would work just fine. I'd even be tempted to dry brine with the original, then hit it with the salt-free.

Comment

• Sid P
              Sid P commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, I was not aware of that.

Thanks all. The butts have already been salted, so in light of the comment above by Steve R. , I guess I’ll keep this in mind for next time. I’ve seen lots of comments here about Tony Chacheres, and it’s something I definitely want to check out.

Comment

FYI, here's the ingredients on t he back panel of Tony's No Salt and Original:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tonys.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	1306766

Comment

• rickgregory
                rickgregory commented
                Editing a comment
                Michael_in_TX - yeah, I was actually a little annoyed to find that out. I was at the butcher near me, saw the No Salt version and thought it would be nice to have the original minus the salt. Not sure why they didnt do that vs making a very different version with sugar etc.

• Steve R.
                Steve R. commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm sure cost has nearly everything to do with not just leaving out the salt. I was hoping for the original, minus the salt, but it would take a lot more of the other (presumably more expensive) ingredients to fill up the same size container. Salt is a relatively cheap filler.

• gboss
                gboss commented
                Editing a comment
                rickgregory if they didn't add something back for bulk, the remaining equivalent spices would be laughably small. it would be tough to sell in the same sized container as the original.

That's my guess at least.

The sugar would help for a pork butt, in my opinion.

Tony’s is my favorite seasoning Sid. I’ve used it as a rub on pork chops, chicken wings and pork loin. With the wings and pork loins, I’ve also marinated them in Good Seasons, with Tony’s, turns out great! I’ve smoked butt hams with only Tony’s on it, nothing else, and they turn out as the best hams I’ve done. I’ve also done turkeys in a roasting pan with nothing on em but Tony’s, my family said that’s their favorite turkey they’ve ever had. I’ve always used the regular Tony’s and not the salt free. If I had only one seasoning I could use the rest of my life, it would be Tony’s.

Comment

• Andrrr
                Andrrr commented
                Editing a comment
                You are too funny Sid P Panhead John

• smokin fool
                smokin fool commented
                Editing a comment
                If he weren't pitching it it't be me....
                I went thru roughly 62 years not knowing about Tony's, now that I do its in-dispensable. I do have to cut it down for my use though.

• Jfrosty27
                Jfrosty27 commented
                Editing a comment
                Who is this Tony fella? KIDDING! Tony’s for the win!!

While we're also talking about how the different versions are indeed very different, the low salt version is also different. Additionally, it isn't just less salt, but has a significant amount of potassium chloride in there in addition to sodium chloride. I find KCL a little bitter, so I didn't quite like the low salt version.

Comment

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes sir, the Original Tony’s is the best.

I find the Original Tony's a little to salty, just me, Did not know they made a salt free one, have to try it. But love the Creole taste.

Comment

• hoovarmin
                hoovarmin commented
                Editing a comment
                I have ruined a dish or two using Tony's because of what I consider to be a ridiculously high salt content. Salt is cheap, and you can fill a seasoning container pretty quick by pumping up the salt content.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
                DogFaced PonySoldier commented
                Editing a comment
                If you don't like the saltiness of Tony's try "Slap Ya Mamma" - I find it much spicier for a given saltiness, still very good flavor.

• rickgregory
                rickgregory commented
                Editing a comment
                randy56 - see above about the ingredient difference though - the No Salt version is nice, but not the original with just the salt removed.

I put rubs as thick as I can on Boston Butts wet with yellow mustard. I don’t think you can get away with that using Toney’s. It would be too hot. But, putting a light coat of Toney’s followed by your favorite rubs would probably be great.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here