Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5 Lbs. Center Cut Pork Loin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 Lbs. Center Cut Pork Loin

Saturday I will be cooking some Beef Ribs from Creekstone (Thanks DaveD for the suggestion!)

Plenty of room on "Delilah" ( My Smoker) and we happen to have Center cut Pork loin with a nice fat cap

My plan is to run the smoker at 250 degrees,

Wrap the Beef Ribs @ 175
    ​Pull the Pork Loin @ 150 and finish with a sear

Stubbs will be around if anyone wants BBQ Sauce for the Beef Ribs
    I will make a Peach Bourbon BBQ Glaze for the Pork (New to me)

Should I trim most of the fat cap?

Always appreciate the collective wisdom from the Pit

(I will update this string with Pics on Saturday)

I like to trim that fat cap off those large pork loins, because often there is a pretty large layer of silverskin underneath it that I can take off.

In addition, I often pull it at 140-142-145ºF and wrap it, carryover brings it up to 150ish and it is so lean it dries out really easily. I think the lower temp is fine for it. Especially if you're going to sear it afterwards.

Comment

I leave the fat cap alone myself. A lot of it will melt away and I love eating my pork with a little fat mixed in. You could always trim any excess fat off before serving, if there is any.
      Last edited by Panhead John; October 7, 2022, 09:30 AM.

Comment

DogFaced PonySoldier Panhead John

I was also considering injecting (Creole Butter) and thinking of "Scoring" the Fat Cap....

Appreciate the advice

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          A pork loin is a pretty tight lean muscle. I am not sure you will be able to inject much of anything into it.

• Bad Hat BBQ
          Bad Hat BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          I could be wrong but I was thinking that it was akin to the texture of a turkey breast....
          and I inject and smoke turkey and they are really good.

The Pit has much to offer, appreciate your input.

A couple of points I want to make.

First, a pork loin will be dried out if you take it much past 140-145. I've done many of them, and think if you take it to 150 and then sear, you are going to be disappointed in the result. I did many many back in the day that they told us pork HAD to be taken to 160F to be done, and the only way to eat those full pork loins I smoked back then was to cut very thin, and cover with BBQ sauce! I would almost vote for a front sear here, and then take it to 140, and let carry over take it to 145 after you pull it. Definitely pull it by 145F at the highest, and if you sear AFTER, let it cool down some before the sear.

Remember - the USDA lowered the done temp for pork from 160 to 145 years ago. If you pull it at 145F, its gonna end up at 150 after a rest I imagine.

Lately I've used sous vide to cook mostly half pork loins, running them at 145F, then shocking briefly before a sear to finish them.

And I will have to disagree with PJ here. There is not going to be much if any "melting" of a fat cap on a pork loin. It ends up as fat folks trim off their slices when eating. I vote for removing it entirely, so that any seasoning or rub you use gets consumed and not trimmed off that side of the pork loin. Melting fat is a thing on a butt that we take to 195 to 205, but it ain't happening at 145, or even during the sear.

Just my 2 cents...

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          RlsRls I'm just talking cooling the exterior a bit. I drop the SV bag into cold tap water for a minute or two, then put it in the oven or on the grill for a sear. I just don't want to take the inside past the already done 145F I did the SV at.

A lot of SVQ stuff I read on here involves a shock between the bath and the sear. Not just for taking to the fridge.

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          jfmorris How DARE you disagree with me! Why I oughtta…….😂

• RlsRls
          RlsRls commented
          Editing a comment
          That make sense, but, why don't you decrease the internal temp a few degrees in the bath to alow you to sear a little longer which would mean a hotter crispier crust without the danger of over cooking? Just a thought!

Another good way to get flavor into a pork loin is to butterfly it, apply rubs, butter, stuffing, whatever, to the inside of the unrolled flat piece of meat, then roll it back up, and tie with string to hold the original shape.

Meathead shows you how to do that in this recipe:

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...rk-loin-roast/

I've not stuffed one with those particular ingredients myself, but the technique is what I am pointing you at here. I have done the pesto one he shows in the second technique for "unrolling" the pork loin. There are a million stuffed pork loin recipes out there to look at I am sure!

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
          DogFaced PonySoldier commented
          Editing a comment
          THIS. Very good way to do pork loin.

• Jfrosty27
          Jfrosty27 commented
          Editing a comment
          I did one like this about a week or 10 days ago on my kettle rotisserie. So good. But you don’t need a rotisserie. Cook indirect on a grill or smoker is good too.

• Bad Hat BBQ
          Bad Hat BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          I think this is the answer...Pesto!!

I cook a 3-5 pounder every week or so. Ive stopped trimming real deep and Ive stopped cooking loins low and slow. I marinade in olive oil and spices for a couple days and run it indirect with a full load of charcoal in a 22 kettle for 90 mins pull it at 140 with no sear. Nice and juicy with crispy fat….pork perfection!
        That center cut will be plenty dry by 150, add a sear and you will be looking at extra mayo on the sammich. Click image for larger version

Name:	2AE264B4-BD31-4485-B9AA-9CADF9BDB8C1.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	1306443
        Last edited by CHNeal; October 10, 2022, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	16403DB0-2F7E-414E-B9D4-C01DD8DCA4A6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.66 MB ID:	1304812 Click image for larger version  Name:	13EC2240-CC44-4130-9B8A-A03E1830FDC1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.02 MB ID:	1304813 Click image for larger version  Name:	DAF811EA-EDF2-4A52-B33E-8BDF9A9608A5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.43 MB ID:	1304814 Here’s the one I did recently on the roto. Stuffed with prosciutto, provolone, Italian herb seasoning, and black olives. Yum.

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Jim, a pork loin is great on the rotisserie! I’ve done several and they always come out tasty. I’ve butterflied one and stuffed with jalapeños and cream cheese, then wrapped in bacon…oh yeah! 😋

• Bogy
            Bogy commented
            Editing a comment
            I keep thinking that I need a rotisserie. Then I remember I have a PBC and a Bronco, and that people have told me that hanging stuff in them is as good as a rotisserie. You guys wouldn't lie to me, would you?

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Bogy I feel your pain… I wouldn’t mind a barrel cooker. It’s certainly gonna be different results with fat dripping on coals than cooked indirect with radiant heat in a rotisserie, but I think both results will be great.

Good advice above and having just cooked one I agree with pulling from the smoke earlier and trimming most of the fat. I pulled mine at 130F. As it rested before the sear the temp was still rising. Seared and pulled when temp was around 140F. It carried over 145F. Most of the pink in the photo is from the smoke.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2200 (1).jpg
Views:	215
Size:	318.6 KB
ID:	1304832

Comment

I remove the cap from loins and chops, but I allow myself to be sloppy in its removal. Grilled/smoked pork fat is tasty, I just don't want a lot of it, hence the sloppy trimming. Have you cooked those beef ribs before? Allow yourself plenty of time, perhaps more than you think, I say this from the 'learned the hard way' club.

Comment

• Bad Hat BBQ
              Bad Hat BBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              I have only done Beef Back Ribs before, keeping everything low N slow
              The good news is that there is no party or guests tomorrow...wife is hangin with her sisters for the day
              So it is me, my smoker and my new dog just chillin in the backyard

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Bad Hat BBQ Nice! That makes for a fun day of smokin' when there are no other distractions. If I may offer advice, allow 9-10hrs for chuck shorties. Darn near as long as a brisket takes IME.

I agree with what others have said, I would probably pull at 140, because it will hit 145 if you let it rest. I cooked a bunch of pork loins earlier this year. It was one of the meats in a local BBQ contest, so I did a lot of experimenting. If it's really thick, you could cut off some of the fat cap, but there's no need to trim it real close. You're only going to 140/145, so the fat is not going to do much melting, certainly not going to melt into the meat.
            I did inject for the contest, and while I did experiment with some Creole Butter, I ended up injecting apple juice. Inject it real slow, because because the loin is so lean it's going to have a tendency to spurt right back out.
            I took third in the contest, my first time, up against some "pros". The only judge who was certified in pork (the other four were from the community) told my wife (while I was getting my award) I had the juiciest loin in the contest. I did it fairly hot and fast, in a Pit Barrel, and was done in an hour. The guy next to me did his low and slow for five hours. He did not place.

My rub was Meathead 's MMD.

This was my entry.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20220618_195859206.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.01 MB ID:	1304853

One of my experiments. With apple juice.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20220602_235830523 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.21 MB ID:	1304854

Comment

• Bad Hat BBQ
              Bad Hat BBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice Box presentation

Thanks to all...good guidance

Now leaning towards butterfly & pesto

I will post pics

Comment

Beautiful Fall day in Manassas, low 60s and sunny.

(BTW: Our New Dog "Seeger" seems to like the idea of BBQ!- has not left my side all day!)

Ran the smoker @250; a couple of spikes to 275
              Pork Loin: Pulled @ 144 then seared, wrapped in foil, rested ~151 when I sliced it (Lunch + Green beans)
              Pork Ribs: wrapped in Butcher paper ~160 ish
              Beef Ribs: still on the rack 140ish (starting to think about a glass of Cabernet or Pinot)

Name:	Pork L.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1305611
              Thanx to all for advice....
              Scott

Comment

• Jfrosty27
                Jfrosty27 commented
                Editing a comment
                That’s some good eating there Pitmaster. Nice work.

Huskee It was a really nice day and the eve temps have dropped to the Hi 40s-to Low 50s

at 175 degrees, I transferred the beef ribs to tightly wrapped tin pans. This all started at 11:45 AM and we are now approaching the golden hour...196-200 degrees is the target.

The Pit is awesome and have appreciated the assist every step of the way.

Pics of the ribs will follow

Name:	Last5.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	1305724

Comment

A brine will help a lot. I use a 5% salt, 3% sugar brine. Brine it for 24 hours and allow a 4-6 hour rest in the fridge. I leave the fat on but I love to eat the fat.

I took the one I smoked last week to 135 internal before pulling. It was really juicy. Most restaurants serve tenderloin at this mid-rare temp and wouldn’t do so if there was a real food risk.

rob
                Last edited by Rob whatever; October 9, 2022, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here