Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Terrorists Have won!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Terrorists Have won!

Ribs have been boiled

Just cause you can doesn't always mean you should.

Comment

Let's never speak his name again!!!

(JK I m sure he's a great guy)

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I have no idea. Never watched or read any of his stuff. ofelles

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        He was my first introduction to BBQ and grilling. I was watching his shows on PBS before the Food Network. He can be overly precious at times but generally good.

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Old Glory "precious" is a good way to put it. I watch him from time to time, he is a good cook

To be fair, there's quite a lot of aromatics in that boil. I wonder if you could get a similar flavor from wet brining 24 hours before a full smoke session?

Comment

We used to boil our ribs back in school many years ago - all we had were a couple of tiny little charcoal kettles and we were doing LOTS of ribs, so we would boil them in Grub Rub, then pull them, sauce them and throw them on the grill(s). We ate many many many a rack o' ribs that way, and we absolutely LOVED them.

I have since moved away from that method, but haven't revisited it to see if I would still enjoy it or whether I would think that it is utter crap these days.

I have a feeling they would be ok, not terrible, but obviously not as good as could be.

I should try it again just to see... haha.

Comment

• Jim White
          Jim White commented
          Editing a comment
          Fumbling around, looking for where I wrote down the "See Something, Say Something" telephone number...

• Allon
          Allon commented
          Editing a comment
          I think I'm going to dry brine overnight with just S&P. Then the Bronco's first cook....

Ribs are pretty good however they are cooked. It's why people actually pay money for and eat McRib. But I came here to learn a better way, so I'm going to stick to that.

I've always thought Raichlen was a goofball; now I'm sure of it. 😛

Comment

Every time ribs are boiled or a brisket is placed in a crockpot an angel cry’s…..

Comment

• Mark V
            Mark V commented
            Editing a comment
            I think you meant that an angel loses it's wings ...

I get his emails and that was in today's. I'm not a real fan of him, this doesn't help.

Comment

So a few points ... all IMHO:
            1. Raichlen is to BBQ as "Dr." Oz is to medicine.
            2. "Boiling (or simmering) Ribs" in a flavorful broth is not the same as boiling them in just plain water.
            3. There should always be beans in chili ...

... you're welcome

Comment

• Dick Anderson
              Dick Anderson commented
              Editing a comment
              Barbecue Bible was my first bbq cookbook,and there are some nice rub recipes, but "Raichlen is to BBQ as "Dr." Oz is to medicine." cracks me up!

• Willy
              Willy commented
              Editing a comment
              Agree with ya on all three, especially No. 1. Heck, Oz don't even know crudites.

Can't insert an acute "e", dunno why...

In the restaurant I worked in when I was younger, They used to bake them in water until done. I did not know any different at the time.

Comment

Boiling, simmering, baking in water, or whatever is just a short cut. You cant push the heat up very much because ribs are easy to burn, and the risk that they might be raw in the middle. But if you boil then grill them, you can do a high heat sear and still get the inside hot enough to do its magic without scorching the outside.

I can see why a restaurant or cafeteria would go this route (BBQ restaurants being the exception of course). It is faster. And not all places that serve ribs are BBQ joints, therefore it is not reasonable to expect them to slow smoke things.

Now for me, I would not boil them. But then again when I cook ribs I am at home, usually only cooking for my family, and I have ALL DAY with nothing else to do (except play World of Warships and consume beer). So what if it takes 6 hours. Also I have a Fireboard cheater device, so my Primo is like some 1980s Ronco "SET IT AND FORGET IT" gadget. Only better.

Comment

• Old Glory
                Old Glory commented
                Editing a comment
                Agreed. I have had ribs where the caterer was bragging that their ribs were braised inn BBQ sauce and fall off the bone tender. They were drowned in the sauce and literally the meat fell off as you picked up the rib to eat it. They tasted good if you like BBQ sauce. No pork flavor. I would never boil or braise ribs for BBQ. I did make Tuscan Ribs once where you simmered them in tomato sauce then served over pasta. They were tasty but not BBQ.

I've passed on a recipe to my friends for easy ribs. Parboil for 45 min., remove from water, season with your favorite rub, wrap in cellophane and put in the fridge overnight. Next day fire up your gasser, grill ribs until you get some grill marks and color, apply sauce and flip often to avoid burning. Get the char/color you want and serve. They are pretty good. Not for this crowd, but good for those who don't Que.

Comment

I would never boil/braise ribs for 'Q. I am intrigued by the prospect of grilling ribs over high heat. I have seen recipes for this but have not done it.

Comment

LOL.....I'm probably the biggest Steven Raichlen fan on here and when I saw the email yesterday I was like "oh no.....oh Steven was is you doing??!!"

To be fair, in the actual recipe, he has you do the ribs over a charcoal fire.

Comment

Before my intro to AR I always slow braised ribs in beer and spice, and finished over charcoal. I didn’t know what I was doing, but I believe they were the best ribs I ever made. I cook over smoke now because ’that is the way you are supposed to cook ribs’. Granted, the braise destroys the competition ’bite’ and smoke profile, the flavor, however, can be unbelievable if cooked in the right mix. Ribs will be ribs!

Comment

• Old Glory
                      Old Glory commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Make'm how you like'm

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here