Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork brisket

I have a pork brisket from Porter Road that we're planning to smoke tomorrow. Planning to treat it like a butt and pull it. I know I've read posts from one or more folks in the Pit who have cooked a pork brisket, but can't seem to find them. So asking if anyone has experience smoking one and has any suggestions.

I've never cooked or eaten one. But I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Comment

I’ve never had one but all the cooks I’ve seen on here have been sliced, not pulled. If I were to cook one, I’d slice it.

Comment

Bradley Robinson of Chudd’s BBQ has smoked them like a brisket, although it cooks much faster given the size.

rob

Comment

Rob whatever - true about the cook time. I'm 2.5 hours into the cook and the brisket has hit the stall. Gonna be in the faux cambro a while this afternoon.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20220820_154132484.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.84 MB ID:	1278389

Pic shows the brisket just put on the Smoke Vault. 1.9 lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by theroc View Post
            I have a pork brisket from Porter Road that we're planning to smoke tomorrow. Planning to treat it like a butt and pull it. I know I've read posts from one or more folks in the Pit who have cooked a pork brisket, but can't seem to find them. So asking if anyone has experience smoking one and has any suggestions.
            I have done them, and will dig up a thread for you. Treat it like a brisket, NOT like a butt, and slice it for serving. It is one of the better things I've ever done - just expensive.

Comment

Search the pit for "Pigsket" and you will find lots of info. Here is one thread, with links to others:

I bought a pork brisket from Porter Road. I’ve never cooked one, or even, eaten one. I’ll be cooking it low and slow on a Yoder. Any suggestions? Thanks

Regardless, I would go to 195F, maybe wrapping after the stall, and slice like a brisket. NOT shred it. I think that will ruin the unique nature of this cut.

Comment

I'll add my 2 cents. In some of the posts I have read, some found it came out a bit dry. In keeping with the "treat it like brisket" theme, I would consider adding some pork tallow when you wrap and/or rest it.

Comment

jfmorris - Ah, "pigsket"! That's it. Had forgotten the term used. was trying to search for "pork brisket" but that turned up lots of the pork and lots of brisket posts.

Thanks very much for the link to the posting of your cook. Very good advice. I'll plan to slice it rather than pull. Waiting for it to push through stall now and then will wrap with a little moisture of some type. @effincoopm like the suggestion of some pork tallow.

Comment

I've done two of these, also from PR... here are the threads where I did my usual copious notations

Pigsket #1

Pigsket #2

My lovely bride just loved these, said it was the best pork I have made, fwiw. Good luck with your cook!

Comment

Exciting!!! 🔥🔥🔥❤️🐿

Comment

Thanks DaveD . I know I had seen those posts before. Just couldn't remember the keyword on which to search.

Been in the stall for about 2 hours now (see below). Still debating whether or not to wrap. But will consider pulling our at a lower temp depending on the tenderness.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220820_193417173.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	1278409

Comment

• hoovarmin
                          hoovarmin commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Better safe than sorry with a cut that expensive

Wrapped it after it came out of the stall. Took it to 190 then rested in the faux cambro for an hour. Sliced and served with grilled corn and sauteed mushrooms. The brisket was tender and moist.

Name:	PXL_20220821_004905315.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	1278714

Name:	PXL_20220821_005225004.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	1278715

Comment

• hoovarmin
                          hoovarmin commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Looks fantastic. Is it something you expect you would be eager to cook again?

• theroc
                          theroc commented
                          Editing a comment
                          hoovarmin - Eager? No. But will we ever cook one again? Probably. It was tasty enough and an interesting enough cook that we'd like to try again.
                          Had a few temperature issues during this cook that turned out to be fireboard probe problems so the pit was hotter than we thought for the first couple of hours. We'd be willing to try again with the appropriate temps.

Nice job!

Comment

I smoked a couple of pigskets in my PBC a couple of weeks ago. FollowedTroutman 's method (smoking at 250° with some cherry wood and taking to probe tenderness at 200ish°) and they turned out great. I chopped the few leftovers and froze for a future pot of beans.

Some folks here have taken them to 170° and liked them, but at that internal temperature, not much of the fat has rendered, and they're a pretty fatty cut. That said, they raved about them.

Kathryn
                          Last edited by fzxdoc; August 21, 2022, 08:15 AM.

Comment

• theroc
                            theroc commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks fzxdoc. We enjoyed the brisket as well. Sadly there weren't many leftovers - it was a small roast to start with, and even smaller after the cook. But we did have a bit left to cube and put into omelettes this morning. That was tasty.

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here