Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulling and Storing Pulled Pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulling and Storing Pulled Pork

I have 4 Boston butts on the WSM. 14 hrs in and 172. I will be serving one tonight maybe a bit more... but as long as i am firing up, i might as well load up.
    I have a question for the group on storing what I don't eat today.
    Do you.
    1) Refrigerate whole, pull cold, portion and freeze?
    2) Refrigerate pulled, portion and freeze?

I usually freeze mine in serving size vacuum sealed bags. Also, I gleaned off the internet a list of dishes you can make with left overs.

Pulled Pork Quesadillas- Spread ½ cup pull pork, ½ cup cheese, and 2 tablespoons corn kernels over one half a 10” flour tortilla. Fold tortilla and cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes, turning once during cooking.

Mac and Cheese- Perfect on a cold winter night, our recipe for Sweet Heat Mac & Cheese combines pulled pork, four different cheeses and Sweet Heat Bar-B-Q sauce for a delicious twist on a favorite ultimate comfort food.

Tacos- Heat up pork and serve over corn tortillas with shredded cabbage, corn salsa, and sour cream.

Pizza- Top a 12” pre-cooked pizza crust with ¾ cup Stubb’s Original, 1 cup pulled pork, ½ green bell pepper, and 1 ½ cups cheese. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden.

Pulled Pork Roll-Up- Spread 1 tablespoon cream cheese on an 8” tortilla. Top with ¼ cup warm pulled pork, sliced red pepper, and shredded cabbage. Drizzle with BBQ sauce and roll.

Meat Pie- Mix 2 cups pulled pork with ¾ cup barbecue sauce. Roll out two sheets of puff pastry dough and cut into 8-inch rounds. Fill the center of each round with pulled pork then fold over and seal edges with a fork. Cook at 400°F for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F and cook for an additional 40 minutes (or until golden brown).

Nachos- Top tortilla chips with warm pulled pork, black beans, jalapenos and cheese on an oven safe platter. Place under the broiler until cheese is melted. Top with salsa and sour cream.

Scramble- Mix 3 eggs, ½ cup pulled pork, 2 tablespoons minced onion and salt and pepper to taste in a bowl. Cook in a greased skillet over medium heat until eggs are cooked through.

Pulled Pork Hash- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add ½ onion, diced and 3 yukon potatoes, halved and sliced. Cook until potatoes are tender and start to brown. Add 1 cup pulled pork and cook until potatoes are crispy. Salt and pepper to taste. Top with fried egg, if desired.

Cowboy Beans- Substitute 2 cups pulled pork for the ground beef and pork sausage in this classic recipe forCowboy Beans.

Comment

• TheMeatGuyJapan
      TheMeatGuyJapan commented
      Editing a comment
      Jesus, how much pulled pork are you people making that you need recipes? Any time I make pulled anything the leftovers sit in a bag in the fridge. Every time I walk past the fridge a handful is transferred from the bag to my mouth. I've never had any leftovers last more than a couple days.

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      TheMeatGuyJapan I usually cook a ten pounder, but maloff28 is cooking 4 butts.

What LA Pork Butt said.

Comment

Pulling pork that has cooled off stinks BIG TIME!!!!

Comment

Agreed. I would pull it all and then freeze it.

Comment

Pretty much what was said before.

Leftovers also make for some killer enchiladas. Pulled pork, sauteed onion and nopales, jack cheese and green sauce. Sorta like carnitas but with an awesome smoke note.

Ahh, forgot shepherd's pie. Also fantastic.
          Last edited by Burntend; December 12, 2015, 12:13 PM.

Comment

I just did this. I cooked 3 butts on Thursday and pulled them that night. I filled my sink with ice and water and put the gallon sized freezer bags into the water to bring their temps down quickly. The event the pork is for is tomorrow. I will fire up my turkey fryer. I will put the bags into 160 degree water and let them warm for an hour or so. Have done this a few times before with great results

Comment

I have been doing the vac and seal with juices. Have been pleasantly surprised the flavor that is still there after 6 months in the freezer. And for leftovers, can not beat the pizza on the grill with barbecue sauce and cheddar cheese over the pork. It is simply amazing. Pulled pork nachos can not be beat either, SOB, getting hungry now...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here