Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Rib Comparison Cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Rib Comparison Cook

Last Christmas my wonderful wife gave me a gift certificate to Creekstone meats, which is a fat boys dream present...HA!!! So, in light of, IMO, the less than stellar pork ribs you find in stores these days I thought I would buy a few racks of the Creekstone St. Louis cut ribs for the freezer.
    Then while walking through our local wally world i noticed some Tyson St Louis ribs in the cooler and they actually looked pretty good with straighter than normal bones, good meat and fairly even thickness from one end to the other....so I thought....how about a comparison cook between these and the Creekstone Duroc ones now in my freezer....so here we are.

After unwrapping i noticed that the Tyson rack was significantly thicker and wider....which in this first picture you really don't notice...the Creekstone are closest and the Tyson are the ones on top.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 1.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	1256950

After trimming they both had about the same amount of trim waste but i did notice that the Creekstone slab had been trimmed better at the facility than the Tyson's. Also the Tyson slab had a lot more fat throughout. Now you will notice the price I paid for the Tyson which was a tad over $18, and the Creekstone came out to roughly $25 per slab which is a bit expensive but so is everything else right now!!!

Name:	pic 2.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	1256951

Both slabs were treated exactly the same, and I did something i've never done to ribs before.....injected. I thought I'd use the Kosmos chicken injection, which we like, mixed with chicken stock. You can read my thoughts about this in the conclusion below.

Name:	Pic 3.jpg
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	1256952

So for my rub, i wanted to keep it pretty simple and not reinvent the wheel so to speak. I used the Kosmos Honey killer bee dry rub. But once it was on I didn't care for the look....it was kind of yellowish IMO. So I grabbed the Smoked Paprika and gave them both a quick coat.

Name:	Pic 4.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	1256953

Here's what they looked like after the rub was applied and they had a few mins for it to sweat in.

Name:	Pic 5.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	1256954

It was pouring rain all day today....and boy we needed it, but that meant that my cooking partners couldn't come outside with me.

Name:	Pic 6.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	1256955

So for todays setup i chose to use the 26" weber kettle outfitted with the standard sized SnS, Fireboard controller and the BBQ Guru Pit Bull fan...yea it's way too big of a fan for the kettle but hey, I wanted to try it out...HA. I used B&B briquettes and a couple Hickory chunks.

Name:	Pic 7.jpg
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	1256956

I ran 250F internal temp the entire cook. Another thing I did was spritz every 15-20 mins or so. I usually just use a 50/50 mix of apple juice and ACV but this time instead of using the ACV I threw in some good Bourbon instead....not sure it really imparted any flavor but it gave me an excuse to keep pouring myself a drink!!!

Name:	Pic 9.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	1256957

Here's a shot of the midway point of the cook....now is when I figured out that the smoked paprika might have added a little too much darkness!!!! The Creekstone rack is the closest, bottom one.

Name:	Pic 8.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1256958

I did wrap these just shy of the 3 hour mark but didn't take any pictures. In my wrap i used some brown sugar, butter honey and a little more of the Kosmos Rub. After about an hour I took both racks out of the foil and glazed them with the juices from inside the foil wraps. I did the glaze three different times for about another 45 mins then removed and put a final coat of Sticky Fingers sweet and smokey sauce on and let them rest.

Name:	Pic 10.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	1256959

I let them rest about an hour while I cooked some boneless skinless chicken thighs for sandwiches later this week. After cutting, I didn't see any smoke ring at all....I used a couple decent sized chunks of wood....not sure what happened?

Name:	Pic 11.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1256960

Final thoughts....Not sure about injecting and if it really imparted a ton of flavor other than making them salty....so next time, if there is one, I would use unsalted chicken broth or apple juice to mix the powder.
    Yes, these were some sweet ribs. I did them as competition style and everyone really liked the flavor profile. Both racks were very tender but not fall off the bone as you can see in the above pic and the bite marks. Neither rack had much if any smoke flavor...which again really surprised me?
    I did a blind tasting with 7 different people not including myself and the results were 6-1..........and the winner is.........CREEKSTONE DUROC ribs.
    Both racks were very good but the Tyson ribs had way more intermuscular fat that i'm not sure really added to the flavor much? The Duroc rack had a nice mouth feel and almost a sweet flavor to the meat compared to the Tyson rack.
    To be fair, I could have left the Tyson slab on maybe another 30-45 mins in the wrap to help render more of the fat but after 5+ hours I was worried they were too dark. All in all if you fed either of these to a group I doubt anyone would complain.
    This was a fun cook and something I'll do again...maybe just a little dry rub and not wrap next time?

Nice writeup and great pics! Pretty sure I’d eat that…..👍

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      You’d eat anything put in front of you. Just saying.

But than again so would I. 😁

Oh yeah. Great looking ribs. And doggies too. I remember you showing me pics of them several years ago. Love Doodles.

Nice write up! Those ribs look good!

Comment

Great write up. Fine looking ribs! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Yum. Nuff said. 👍👏👌

Comment

Ribs look good. Hope Ebony and Ivory got a treat for being housebound.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
            Dadof3Illinois commented
            Editing a comment
            Ha, you know they did....just not ribs....they ended up getting some of the raw trimmings from the chicken thighs.

Great cook and writeup!

I have some thoughts on the lack of smoke ring/flavor:

1. Pit Bull was off more than it was on, leading to low airflow? I know its a higher powered fan, but if it just ran for very brief bursts, and was off most of the time... I do know my kamado, which has less airflow than my kettle if used in kamado mode, produces less smoke ring and bark.

2. Maybe the injection was a factor?

3. Did you use any oil as a binder? Oil on the surface blocks the smoke penetration, in a test Baby Back Maniac did. His ribs with oil as a binder took up little smoke flavor or rub flavor compared to no binder, or mustard as a binder.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
            Dadof3Illinois commented
            Editing a comment
            I thought about all of these and
            1. The Pit Bull actually ran way more than I figured it would of needed too. I used an already open bag of charcoal but was rolled up tight and in a trash can....maybe the humidity got to it a little????
            2. This IMO is the leading factor. I've never had issues getting smoke into my cooks and this is the only big change I did?
            3. I typically never use binders and didn't on this cook either.

+1 on the Creekstone ribs. All if the ribs in my freezer are either Creekstone or Porter Road. I have sworn off market ribs since my first slab a couple years ago.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
            Dadof3Illinois commented
            Editing a comment
            @lkflowers I know what you mean. Haven't been able to find a decent slab of ribs for awhile, hence me buying the Creekstone slabs. But I always look at what's in the cooler....i'm like a little kid going through the toy section in a store...HA.
            When I saw these and they had good marbling and were thick with a good amount of meat I had to give them a shot. They just needed a little longer to render more of the fat out...so that one was on me.

You should share your write up with Creekstone…..

Comment

Originally posted by klflowers View Post
            +1 on the Creekstone ribs. All if the ribs in my freezer are either Creekstone or Porter Road. I have sworn off market ribs since my first slab a couple years ago.
            The Duroc are great, but I’m sold on Cheshire. Huge racks, dark red meat.

The full spares are the hot ticket.

The spare rib is cut from the lower part of the ribcage, situated into the belly. It shares the hard bones that comprise the St. Louis ribs along with the curved, meaty brisket containing the soft cartilage bones, or Ì´Ì_ÌÎ̝ÌÎårib tips.Ì´Ì_ÌÎÌÌ´å Some folks like to smoke the whole spare rib. Some folks buy it to cut the St. Louis rack off for serving guests, but keep the brisket and rib tips for themselves. We donÌ´Ì_ÌÎ̴̝åÈt judge.

Comment

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              grantgallagher That’s why I buy the full spares. 30 lbs, $200, trim them yourself, plus you get the tips, and the flap, skirt, and brisket bone for beans.

• Dadof3Illinois
              Dadof3Illinois commented
              Editing a comment
              Mosca We have all kinds of breeds in our area, Hampshire, Chester,Berkshire, Yorkshire and Duroc being the most prevalent. We've found that the Duroc seems to have a better fat content throughout and so it's a bit more tender, at least for us. But IMO it's truly not the breed as much as the farmer and the quality, amount and type of feed they use and a good source of clean water. Those determine what the flavor of the animal will be.

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              Dadof3Illinois Yeah, that’s probably true. Get Duroc one place and they’re great, get them somewhere else and they’re all shiners. (Looking at you, SRF and your Kurobuta ribs [Berkshire, but same principle]).

I like the idea here, but in my experience every rack of ribs is unique and cooks at its own timetable. You mention that the grocery store ribs were thicker and that alone would likely require more time for the cook (as you mention) versus the thinner heritage Creekstone ribs. Those poor grocery store Tyson ribs never had a chance.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
              Dadof3Illinois commented
              Editing a comment
              I will admit that those Tyson ribs were some of the best I’ve seen in a few years.

Smoke ring is nice, but it doesn't matter. Same fuel, same cook, similar quality proteins, and sometimes one item will have an amazing ring and the others won't. As long as there's smoke flavor, it doesn't matter.

Some woods feel like they leave a healthy smoke ring more often than others (cherry for me is one that's pretty consistent), coupled with the fact you really only smoked for 2.something hours before wrapping could be part of it as well.

With many items, but especially pork ribs I often feel like the smoke ring is even more prominent as the meat cools down or when reheated as a leftover.

Comment

I like that you wrote it up warts and all. Sometimes it helps to know that things can go sideways. And that sideways cooks can still come out good!

Man, you did change a lot of variables there. Injected… two rubs… small blower on larger kettle… different spritz… no pups to help…. Even though you treated the racks the same, there is some new territory there. Maybe the alcohol in the spritz was washing off the smoke, y’know? Could be anything.

Nice write up!

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
                Dadof3Illinois commented
                Editing a comment
                I thought about the bourbon and if it could have blocked any of the smoke from getting to the meat but I just don't see it, I mean it's mainly water??? Maybe the rubs but i'm just not sold on that either....a lot of the time I use some sort of AP rub then my sweet on top, here I just used the Kosmos then a little paprika...???

• Mosca
                Mosca commented
                Editing a comment
                I wasn’t thinking block as much as dissolve or alter the chemicals that produce the ring.

You done good!

Comment

I can't imagine anything with Woodford Reserve Double Oaked being a problem. Good call.

It could be that the fan gave you too clean of a burn to impart the level of smoke flavor you hoped for. It seems that nice smoke profile occurs when there's some mild "clouding" of the exhaust, not the heavy "dirty" stuff at start up, and not the invisible smoke of a roaring fire.

I especially liked your comment about mouth feel. It could be, and most often is expected, that the Duroc has more intRAmuscular fat than the intERmuscular fat of the commodity pack which would give a more "luxurious" or succulent feel. But as you noted, it's only evident by comparison.........both being good on their own.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
                  Dadof3Illinois commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We have a couple local hog farmers that raise Duroc and we usually buy one of their kids 4H project hogs at the end of the season and really like the flavors this breed has. Their picnic's are really good!!!
                  I see you live in Salado....many moons ago we lived down the road from there in Belton and my wife taught school in Temple. Awesome folks in that area!!!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here