Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rib Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rib Question

Ok folks, week of the 4th we have a timeshare in Maggie Valley, NC. Saturday to Saturday. I am going up on Monday after an event. My question is this. Can I Throw a couple of racks of ribs on Saturday for say 3 hrs. Wrap, and cool, and then take them up and finish over a charcoal grill. (One of those campsite grills that you find). Was just thinking of a low bed of coals, warm up in foil, then maybe sauce a little and set for 15-30 mins

You can certainly re-heat ribs on a charcoal grill, but I would highly recommend finishing them at the time of the first cook. You can't cook them, say 70% and then finish them later in a half hour. You'll want to cook the ribs all the way through, then chill them and keep them refrigerated until you are ready to warm them up to eat.

Comment

Originally posted by Joey877 View Post
      You can certainly re-heat ribs on a charcoal grill, but I would highly recommend finishing them at the time of the first cook. You can't cook them, say 70% and then finish them later in a half hour. You'll want to cook the ribs all the way through, then chill them and keep them refrigerated until you are ready to warm them up to eat.
      Absolutely, would never not bring the meat up to proper temp.

Comment

If your just warming them up why not just use the oven? You've already smoked them right? I would smoke to finish, cool, wrap in plastic wrap then foil and keep cold until ready to reheat. Now just throw them in the oven and get them up to serving temp.

Comment

• WillTravelForFood
          WillTravelForFood commented
          Editing a comment
          throw in the oven WITH the plastic wrap?

• Dadof3Illinois
          Dadof3Illinois commented
          Editing a comment
          yes, it's fine. As long as you don't crank up the oven too hot. If you don't trust it just take the plastic wrap off and leave it just in the foil.

I just microwave them using one of the "Reheat" or low power settings. Works great and is ridiculously easy. They taste just as good as on day one.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
          Jfrosty27 commented
          Editing a comment
          This is how I reheat ribs as well. As you said, ridiculously easy. Perfect every time.

Absolutely you can. The closer to being done the less time needed to finish. Or you can just reheat as in "setting the sauce", and warm the ribs to a good eating temp.
        Have fun and don't forget the PBR

Comment

What I’ve done the last few times I’ve gone camping is precook completely, cool, and vacuum seal. At the camp site I heat a big pot of water (either from wood fire or a propane burner) and toss the bag in the warm water.

I’ve used this method from everything from barbecue to sloppy joes. Such a time saver, especially if you’re cooking for a crowd.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here