Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extra meaty baby backs: Not so extra?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extra meaty baby backs: Not so extra?

Hey folks, I've had a rack of Smithfield "extra meaty" baby backs in the freezer for a while and busted them out for today after reading some threads about how to mitigate the loin meat atop the ribs that "earn" them the "extra meaty" label. All the ribs I've done up to now I've just run in the smoker without wrapping or glazing, just dry brine overnight and whatever rub I'm using.

Bit of background: My very first smoke was a set of baby backs that, I now understand, had a bunch of loin meat on there and they came out way dry. Took me ten months to work up the nerve to try again with "normal" BBRs, but revenge was sweet, they came out fantastic. On that cook, I stuck to my usual rib process, but paid much closer attention and tested tenderness frequently in the home stretch. So far, so good.

My plan for today was to run at 250F/121C for 90 minutes or so until the color and some bark develop, then wrap in foil with some apple juice, honey, and butter for a couple hours, followed by unwrapping and glazing with some BBQ sauce for half an hour or so, which several folks here (notably Troutman , whose comment on one of those threads was my starting point) have reported as being successful with loin-intensive BBRs.

Now my question: got today's rack, which weighs 3.3lb/1.5kg, prepped last night, and now I'm not so sure it has much loin meat on there after all:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220617_192227.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.10 MB ID:	1238550

Is that paler strip the loin meat? It's in the right position and looks like it to me... if so, there isn't that much and I'm second-guessing whether I need to do the whole wrapping thing, or whether just to use my standard process so that the only real variable is the starting material. (Yay for changing as few things as possible between experiments!)

Would appreciate any sage counsel, pearls of wisdom, bon mots, and pithy advice y'all might have to offer
    Last edited by DaveD; June 18, 2022, 08:00 AM.

I would just let it go with out wrapping. Honestly, I never wrap ribs. I would just go with your standard, especially if they are not as meaty as you anticipated. I always find that wrapping softens the bark too much and makes for some mushy ribs. I like to have some body to the rib meat. To me, wrapping ruins all the hard work of developing bark and exceptional mouth feel when eating them.

As you stated above, just pay closer attention to them. Since there is loin meat, you could even insert a temp probe and get some fairly accurate measurements as far as temp goes. I would take them to about 190-195 for tenderness but still good body in the bite.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

You'll know an extra meaty rib rack when you see one. It'll have an 3/4 inch or so of meat thickness along the length of the rack. If you can give it a good pinch, it's extra meaty. Any less than that, I just hang it in the PBC the usual way. That said, I never buy extra meaty BBs because I don't like having to second-guess a simple cook like ribs.

What I like about your game plan for today is that you get to try a different-to-you type of rib cook, which is the fun of BBQ. I'd say go for it. Then you'll know if you and your family like wrapped ribs for future cooks. A lot of folks swear by them.

While I'm more of a dry-rub-unwrapped-all-the-way type of rib Qer, I am giving wrapped ribs a try over several cooks, varying a parameter at a time, since some guests prefer them that way. It's been a fun journey so far, trying to get a rib that is somewhere between fall-off-the-bone tender and tugworthy for folks who like it that way. Plus wrapping lets you add things like juice, butter and honey, something abhorrent to me personally, but a flavor profile that is loved by so many.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; June 19, 2022, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Thanks folks - indeed, I think there is a place I can get a T probe in there effectively. And the "family" is just my lovely bride and myself, and we both prefer the tug-off consistency over fall-off, big time.

I'll be putting them on in about 90 minutes. Right now I'm leaning toward sticking with my SOP today, and doing another Grudge Match with two racks of ribs from the same purchase (got two racks of spares left from a Creekstone sale a few months ago), one done with the SOP and the other wrapped with some fixins to make that comparison. Of course, that won't be about mitigating loin meat, just comparing the outcome from the two processes with most other things being equal. If I stick to SOP, then there's really only the one variable, the "starting material" (cannot help myself from using that label, from my petrology lab days...), and that's very appealing.

Appreciate the reality checks! And here's Uncle Slayton (yes I named my smoker) after I gave him a good cleanup this morning. That Pit Boss degreasing cleaner works really well!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220618_102950.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1238594

(Smoke coming out of the firebox, I'd just turned it on to do a burnoff of the cleaner residue.)

Comment

• tstalafuse
        tstalafuse commented
        Editing a comment
        DaveD Not on topic, but that looks like a Pitboss something or another model.. Happy with it? good, bad, ugly?.. I am looking for a vertical that simply has a reliable heat. Not so interested in smoke profile, just a good steady consistent heat..

• DaveD
        DaveD commented
        Editing a comment
        tstalafuse You're right, it's a Pit Boss Copperhead 5, and I love it. Mind you, it's the only smoker I've ever used, I'm a month shy of one year since getting it - I'm still pretty new at all this. But it is rock solid reliable and consistent, provided you use the water pan as directed. Design needs that thermal mass in there. Small footprint and a ton of cooking space. Food has tasted pretty amazing IMO too. No downsides for me.

• Starsky
        Starsky commented
        Editing a comment
        You cleaned it? There goes all your seasoning!

Got the ribs in at the crack of noon. First hour on the low-T "smoke" setting (about 140F/60C), then bumped it up to 250F/121C.

Rubbed & ready:
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20220618_115713.jpg Views:	6 Size:	1.91 MB ID:	1238715
      In the smoker...
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20220618_120844.jpg Views:	6 Size:	1.48 MB ID:	1238714
      After one hour on SMOKE. (Also the rack is in full sunshine for the pic):
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20220618_130017.jpg Views:	6 Size:	1.87 MB ID:	1238716

Having a bit of an annoyance: The T probe started to lose signal when I close the door on it, so I swapped it out for another one, and now THAT one is doing the same. Grrr... Ended up having to get the Meater+ in there, which I could just barely do. Will view its readings with some skepticism, it is probably not far from bone...
      Last edited by DaveD; June 18, 2022, 11:35 AM.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        I wouldn’t worry about it. Stick an instant read in em later on, after 3 hours or so.

• DaveD
        DaveD commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I'm not overly concerned. I just like to have a ballpark idea without having to go out there if possible.

They are looking good

Comment

Cruising right along, and looks like a bit of stalling afoot. At 2 hours in, IT 139F/59C, and the Meater+ app's estimated remaining time says 1:48.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220618_140718.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.10 MB ID:	1238786
        Thirty minutes later, with IT at 154F/68C, the app's ETA rose to 1:51. Here it is at 3 hours in, IT=166F/74C, Meater ETA at 2:16.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	20220618_150559.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.00 MB ID:	1238788

And just while I've been typing this up, the Meater's ETA has jumped again to 3:08. Stallsville, baby! (The big trough in the ambient T is when I was futzing around with the T probes.)

Name:	image_178530.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	1238785

Keeeeeeep goiiiiiiiiing...!
        Last edited by DaveD; June 18, 2022, 01:24 PM.

Comment

And it's a wrap. They took about five hours total, and I pulled them when they were probing very tender, with some areas at 200F/93C and a bit higher. Wrapped in a couple layers of butcher paper and rested half an hour. Served with green beans and some cheesy sage-y biscuits that my lovely bride made from scratch.

They came out great! You can easily see that strip of loin meat on top of the rack, and it was no more than about 1/4 inch/1cm thick in the central part, thinner toward either end of the rack. We could easily tell it apart when we bit into the rib, but it was never too much except in maybe one or two mouthfuls. So we scored on that front.

The ribs proper were moist and juicy, very flavorful. Highly satisfied with this outcome. Thanks for tuning in today!

Here's the final temperature profile. I bumped it up to 275F/135C for the last hour or so.

Name:	Screenshot_20220618-184822.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	1238883

As they came out of the smoker ready to wrap. That strip of loin meat is very apparent, running right down the middle of the rack.

Name:	20220618_172931.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	1238887

Slicin' & servin'.

Name:	20220618_175846.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	1238886

Name:	20220618_175859.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	1238885

Name:	20220618_175853.jpg
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	1238888

Name:	20220618_180220.jpg
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	1238884

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Good job Dave! Looks great.

Nice job on that cook. The "extra meaty" part was on the skimpy side, compared to some I used to get. Biscuits, beans, and ribs. Another perfect summertime supper. Congrats.

Kathryn

Comment

• DaveD
            DaveD commented
            Editing a comment
            Very skimpy! I'm glad I stuck to my SOP. I'll do the controlled experiment next time on the wrap + fixins vs the SOP.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here