Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Father's Day In honor of @DaveD I am doing a grudge match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Father's Day In honor of @DaveD I am doing a grudge match

between a GMG Jim Bowie Prime Plus, Smokefire upgraded to Gen 2, and OKJ Bronco for Fathers day...

I will be cooking BBack ribs, using the same rub, same pellets (the OKJ will be cooking on charcoal with hickory/cherry./maple chunks of wood) the same pellets will have the same mix as the OKJ, to be fair a rack of 3 ribs will be from the same pig, the same wrap, the same temp, and the cooking conditions as best that I can recreate... Pictures to follow...

So, I wasn't going to post this until tomorrow, but a bunch of flashing lights happened and it posted now. So, here it is..
    Last edited by tstalafuse; June 18, 2022, 08:09 AM.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      No pics showing, just blank space.

• tstalafuse
      tstalafuse commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John Not sure what took place.. Lots of flashing lights on the screen and then it posted. I will be cooking tomorrow..

• Draznnl
      Draznnl commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, many of us have problems when flashing lights show up.

Hey, I'm honored! Just now posting the results of my own latest grudge match! Same prob here, can't see any pics. Hope the flashing lights stop flashing soon And best of luck on the cook, really looking forward to seeing your results!

Comment

So, 6 months of no rain and here we are.. raining on my grudge match.. I guess I won't complain since any moisture is greatly needed..

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah forget the cook, rain is better! We could use some too, the last 2 weeks have been miserable. I got a little excited yesterday, I heard some thunder a few times…nothing though. 😡

The results are in. The contestants are 3 racks of Baby Back Ribs all taken from the same pig, all three using AR Memphis Dust, and smoked using Lumber Jack Competition blend (OKJ Bronco used Maple/Cherry with oak charcoal) @225.
      ​​​
      ​​​​​​​​​​​
      The first contestant are the ribs prepared on the GMG Jim Bowie Prime Plus. These ribs had the best bark, nice flavor, with a nice clean bite, but were slightly on the dry side. They also were probing done almost an hour ahead of the others, so I think I need to recalibrate my probe sensor on the GMG.

​​​
      ​ ​​​ ​​
      The next set were prepared on the SmokeFire Gen 1 that has been upgraded with all the new parts to Gen2. These ribs had a really nice smoke, were very moist/tender, and also had a really clean bite.

​ Click image for larger version  Name:	sf2 - Copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.43 MB ID:	1239196 Click image for larger version  Name:	sf3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.24 MB ID:	1239195

The final set were done on the now famous OKJ Bronco. These ribs had (not surprisingly) the best smoke, flavor, texture,
      ​and bite. However, the bark wasn't as nice as what the GMG produced.

Click image for larger version  Name:	okj.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.68 MB ID:	1239198 Click image for larger version  Name:	okj2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.79 MB ID:	1239197 Click image for larger version  Name:	okj3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.61 MB ID:	1239199

All in all, I think more testing will be required on my part before a winner can be determined.., but made for a really nice dinner with some smoked Mac n Cheese.

Click image for larger version  Name:	dinner.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.29 MB ID:	1239200

And a shout out to Huskee these things really do taste like a key lime pie..

Click image for larger version  Name:	Huskee.jpg Views:	0 Size:	691.4 KB ID:	1239201
      Last edited by tstalafuse; June 19, 2022, 07:55 AM.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        On the Bronco, did you hang the ribs or use the grate?

• tstalafuse
        tstalafuse commented
        Editing a comment
        Panhead John I laid them flat. I am still not really comfortable yet with the whole hanging food.. I just keep expecting it to end up in the fire.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice cook, and happy you liked my cocktail recipe!

Well, that was a fun read, tstalafuse . Comparison cooks can be really informative. Sounds like you're not yet ready to designate any one smoker as your go-to rib smoking machine, though. Enjoy the tasty further testing.

Kathryn

Comment

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree with Kathryn. MUCH more testing is in order! Perhaps you need an assistant? I am available anytime. 👍

• tstalafuse
        tstalafuse commented
        Editing a comment
        fzxdoc It was interesting. The good news is I have 3 smokers that all produced nicely. Even better, my wife doesn't like left over ribs, so I have almost 2 full racks to myself!
        Last edited by tstalafuse; June 19, 2022, 12:43 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here