Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there anything wrong with cooking pork butt at 225°

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there anything wrong with cooking pork butt at 225°

In a FB public forum I asked about advantages to cooking butts at 275°. Most folks gave time as the reason. I totally get it especially for competition or commercial applications. Heck, it's fine if you're just trying to get food on the table at a reasonable hour. The amount if people who attacked me for sticking with 225° (which I've done for two decades) was ridiculous. So I thought I’d come here and ask the experts. I cook on a WSM 22” and I rarely wrap. I get great results. My question is, other than time saving, is there a reason I should use higher temps?

None that I know of. I usually start mine at 225, and then after 10-12 hours I bump it up to 250-275. Just because of the time factor. I want it done sooner.

Comment

That’s a crying shame you were attacked like that instead of getting reasonable and helpful answers, you will NOT find that here. If you’re getting great results with what you’re doing and are happy, stick with it. I’ve only done a couple of pork butts, I cooked them around 250-275, but from what I understand they’re very forgiving, temperature wise. Time is the only advantage to cooking at higher temps. from what I’ve gathered here. Perhaps someone else will come along with other reasons.

Comment

I almost always cook them at 225 over night holding them for 2-4 hours before serving at noon. A 10# butt typically takes from 12-14 hours on my BGE. The deal is there are many ways to make good BBQ, but some people subscribe to the philosophy that their way is the only good way. I think the folks in the Pit get that there are multiple ways to make good BBQ which is why you will very rarely be attacked for your approach.

Comment

Do you, brother. Don't listen to haters.

Comment

• Craigar
            Craigar commented
            Editing a comment
            +1

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            +2

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            +3

I would say there is no advantage to cooking it at 225 F. It just makes it take longer. I am firmly in the 275 F camp for that reason.

That being said, it is your smoker and your BBQ life......do it how you want. If you get great results doing it the way you do it, then stick with it.

Either way......Haters gonna Hate. Forget them and you do you. Keep the Smoke rollin'.

Comment

As long as you’re getting the results you want why would you change? I cook mine at 275 F, but thats just how I get the results I’m looking for. My kamado retains so much moisture that I have to cook both pork butt and brisket at higher temps to get the bark to form. At 225 F I get wet brown meat. Like Panhead John stated you’ll find reasonable and helpful people here.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
              LA Pork Butt commented
              Editing a comment
              I have always crooked at 225 and have never had trouble getting good bark. I don’t use a water pan, but even with a water pan bark has never been a issue. Yet, every Kamado is different. Some just hold more moisture.

I suggest just doing it whatever way you prefer, and staying off Facebook. Time savings is the only reason I can think of, and it's why I cook at a higher temperature.

Comment

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              +1 on staying off Facebook, at least for BBQ questions. This place is one of the best resources out there.
              Last edited by Panhead John; June 14, 2022, 01:58 PM.

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah I don't do faceyspace or twittergram either. Matter of fact, this is the only message board I am even on.

As many others have said, do what works for you. However, if you ever get a stubborn butt that just doesn't want to finish, don't be afraid to bump the temp up.

Comment

I cook mine at 225, so I'm with you, until I get too impatient and bump it up to 275 to get it to temp. I have always had great results. So, no, I would say cooking at 225 is not a problem in any way. Try a higher temp if you want to, but only if you want to, sounds like you're doing just fine.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Welcome to the Pitmaster Club!!!

Another reason I’m glad a got off FB years ago. I’ve done butts on the pellet grill at 180,200 and 225 various times and they’re fantastic. On my WSM I tend to go for higher temps butt (oh that’s intended) that’s only because I always overshoot the temps and can’t get it to 225, which is my goal.

Comment

I appreciate you guys. I’ve been a member here for about a year but I rarely got to smoke last year as I was pretty sick waiting on a heart transplant. I was transplanted 11/19/2021 and have been giving my smoker and other outside cooking tools a workout!

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
                  LA Pork Butt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great news. You are back in the game.

• tbob4
                  tbob4 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Congrats on the success with the transplant! As far as my temps - 225ish on my cabinet because they are generally cooking next to tri-tips and ribs. 250 in the Vision grill because it just likes to settle in at that temp. I really can't compare because in the Vision grill I put it in a Dutch oven after about 5-6 hours with onions, peppers and oil. In the cabinet they stay uncovered the whole time. Both are great!

Back in my FEC100 days, I cooked everything at 240. I think that the meat's texture is better when cooked at lower temp, but most folks don't see a difference after pork is pulled and sauced.

Comment

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sauced!?!?! you hethan! Commence faceyspace style attack. Just kidding. Good results are good results. More than one way to skin a coon.

Always keep in mind that many people 1) Don't have an accurate pit thermometer and 2) Don't mention where the temp measurement is made (grate level, vs dome or smoker "body")

It's very difficult to make an accurate comparison when there's so much variation in what people even mean when they say "225F" or "275F"

That said, I personally like to keep the pit temp low in the beginning to maximize the amount of time the meat spends in the "good to pickup smoke" stage (early, cold meat). However, once you get past a certain point and the bark is developed and set, there's no advantage to keeping the temp that low, in my opinion.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
                  LA Pork Butt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great point about thermometers - is the temp at grill level or in the dome and what is the quality of the thermometer.

• Murdy
                  Murdy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree with the logic of keeping the temp lower at the start to maximize smoke retention. This would seem particularly important with a pellet grill, which I don't have and am just speculating. Anyways, that's pretty much how I do it with my kettle, though I have not scientific survey to back it up.

• tdimond
                  tdimond commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Murdy my anecdata so far with my Grilla is that keeping it low - about 220-225 grate level - and letting it swing when the meat is cold gives me a better result. I've been bumping up a bit at the stall to 250-275 just to power through. I've also been putting the meat in the freezer for 30 minutes before starting just to get that surface as cold as reasonable.

I tried Huskee 's trick with loading the pellet grill then starting with my most recent cook and that worked really well.

Do what you like and key to the WSM. I always cooked at 225 when I had one and liked the results. I now cook at 225 on a Chubby G2. I use the technique Mr Bones described. I place a 15lb butt in a foil pan on a rack. Cook at 225 for about 7-8 hours which will take me to about 180 on the Chubby. No spritzing, just keep the door closed. At about 180-185, cover with foil for 1-2 hours and take to 203-205. Then into a 170 oven for 2-3 more hours. Separate the fat from the juices, pull and pour remaining juices in with the meat. Do it the way you like with the smoker you have.
                Last edited by jlazar; June 26, 2022, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here