Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicago (midwest) rib tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicago (midwest) rib tips

I am surprised that there is nothing on the AR site about tips...

When I lived in South Bend, tips were all I ever ordered from Frankie's. They were my first real bbq.

On Sunday, I am going to trim a slab or two of ribs into a St Louis cut, and make tips out of the trimmings. My thought is that tips could be like the pork equivalent of burnt ends; something that people use as a scrap meat, or maybe even toss, but that is actually the best part.

I'm going to dust them up with the rub, smoke them alongside the racks, coat them in sauce and let that sauce shine thicken. Those are going to be some good tips.

This will be a separate part of my kamado smoke test, where I'm going to loosely wrap the wood chunks in foil and poke holes in the bottom, to see if they behave the way I think that wood chunks in a dutch oven would.

I wrote something a while back calling them riblets.

Comment

I started a thread a while back asking what folks did with them. Lots of different answers. Taso was something I'd never heard of, but I tried it and boy oh boy does that make a pot of black eyed peas or ham and beans shine. YUM. They also make great meat for sausage.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here