Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

lard the tallow of pig, question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lard the tallow of pig, question

Is bacon-tallow lard or is it bacon grease?

How thick were that bacon slices?

Comment

Beef bacon grease would be tallow, pork would be lard

Comment

• Rob whatever
        Rob whatever commented
        Editing a comment
        No it wouldn't. Pork = lard. Beef = tallow.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
        Editing a comment
        Rob whatever um that's exactly what I said... bbqluv specifically said bacon so I specifically said bacon. While there's the discussion below that bacon wouldn't make either because it's cured, not all styles of bacon is cured.

Bacon grease. Lard would be rendered pork fat that was fresh, not cured like bacon.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        agree

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        brilliant

Now I want to fry up some fat back and then use the resulting lard for some fried skillet corn. Bonus will be a big fat back sandwich for lunch.😋

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Yessir! 🕶

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I wonder if you grind up Lipitor and dispersed it on top of the sandwich if it would change the texture?

Lard, grease, you say tomato, I say tomato. Shoot, there is somethin lost in the printing of this. Who gives a rip! Cook with it & enjoy!

Comment

I’m waiting to learn a better way… but since I learned the answer to pork butt fat side up or down, wasn’t either, but to remove the fat cap and render it in an open pan in the pit alongside the pork…

If much of the pork flavor is in the fat, and the only fat that matters is the fat marbled in the meat… I reintroduce some of the rendered smoked fat back into the pulled pork that is already incorporated with the pan juices…

Besides, if everything is better fried in bacon grease, smoked pork fat renderings are even better! And you can scoop out as much as needed from the jar as you’re likely to need between barbecues…

It helps lean pork cuts also, like loin and chops…. And sauces and gravies…

As far as flavors go, I like good smoky pork barbecue… it’s been a while since I stopped with dry rubs…. And saucing on the pit stopped long ago…

I now use SPG, just before going on the pit…. Along with the flavorful juices, I don’t even need mayo on my sandwich bun…

it gets a spray of my vinegar sauce and is quickly consumed…
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Washblue; June 27, 2022, 10:22 AM.

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Same with brisket trim.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          When I make it with brisket trimmings, I grind it, then I slow cook it in a dutch oven until it is all cooked down. It can take hours, but well worth it.

• Washblue
          Washblue commented
          Editing a comment
          This open-top smoked 9 hours on Friday… The whole time the butts we’re on… Spinaker …. I’d do it with beef too…. But we seldom do beef…

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here