Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SVQ Pork Shoulder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SVQ Pork Shoulder

So due to scheduling this week, I am looking to SV shoulder and then finish on the grill (less time tending to grill) and then having leftovers to carry out over the week. Two small roasts are 2.1# and 2.6# (I went in on a pig with a friend and specifically asked for smaller roasts). I am thinking around 152*F for about 24 hours.

Seasoning choices:
    Traditional BBQ Style
    Char Siu
    Carnitas (as the final product)

so many choices…. Thoughts?

I'd do them in the oven, one char siu, one something else. I've thought about SV for pork butt, and I keep thinking that i want the effect of dry heat (the browning etc). IF you do try it and do a carnitas approach, I'd try to mimic the flavors of traditional carnitas... the orange juice etc. Myabe use grated orange peel, some OJ, etc. I'd use garlic powder and not the real thing in SV. Actually carnitas SV might work well since it's cooked in fat anyway....

Comment

Interested to see how this turns out
      Last edited by DaveD; May 7, 2022, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Time and temp sound right to me. Since you are looking for a weeks worth of food, I'd season each one differently just to have some variety during the week.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m leaning towards char siu and carnitas…..

The roasts are slacking out in the fridge, so I have more time to torture myself, er, I mean make a decision.

Watching patiently to see what happens!

Comment

Here you go... https://www.seriouseats.com/sous-vid...ed-pork-recipe

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here